Stress Cooking and a Trip Into Town

I woke up feeling the happiest I had ever felt, and I didn't know why. Though that part was about to come. The heat of the sun flowed through the window, heating up the room like a sauna. I smiled and yawned, feeling the softness of the silks sheets wrapped around me, warm and cozy. I turned my head to look out the window only to be met by Jacob's rough face, and I felt my heart drop like an anchor.

"Holy Fuck." Jacob's eyes snapped open, and for a moment, he looked happy. He smiled lazily before closing them again, but they were wide open faster than I could have snapped my fingers. He looked utterly shocked as he jumped out of bed. I followed suit, but I quickly realized that I was very, very exposed. My face flushed as I grabbed a loose sheet and wrapped it around my body. We both stood there for a while as the reality of the previous night hit us like a wrecking ball.

"Did we..." I remembered everything, but I just wanted his confirmation.

His eyes traveled up my neck and I looked down, just to see purple marks. "Shit."

I quickly grabbed a shirt and shorts from my backpack. "I'm gonna go...you know."

"Yeah...yeah." He said, now pacing around the room. I left as quickly as I could, feeling both insecure and strangely...empty. It was the best night I had had in years, and he seemed like he thought the same. I pushed open the bathroom door and locked it behind me. I felt like my throat was closing up.

I put my hands on the sink and looked don't the mirror, observing every little mark he left on me. I shook my head as I threw on black shorts and a white t-shirt before grabbing a red leather jacket I had left in there.

I left the bathroom and headed for the kitchen. I opened the fridge and withdrew some milk and eggs and began to prepare pancakes. I stress cook if it isn't obvious already. By the time Jacob came out of the bedroom with his usual outfit on I had fixed up two pancakes.

I threw the plates on the table and sat down, feeling heat spread up my neck. The chair creaked as Jacob dragged it out from underneath the table. We sat in silence for a few moments before I broke it.

"At least we killed a bliss-infected Elk." I joked, feeling the need to fill the awkward silence. He looked up from his food and chuckled.

"You killed it with a goddamn knife." He answered, still laughing.

"It was your idea."

"And you listened to it." He shot back playfully.

"I guess I did," I said, a funny feeling fluttering through my chest.

"You were the voice of reason for a bit though."

"I guess I have a better bliss tolerance." It was affecting me, but it was affecting him much faster.

"It seems so." When we finished eating, Jacob stood up and grabbed our plates.

"Thank you for making breakfast." He said as he cleaned the dishes.

"No problem." I watched him as he rubbed the dishes, and only when he stopped did I take my eyes off of him.

"Well, I have some things to do today. Thank you for, um, having me." He thanked. He went to the door and was about to leave when he stopped. "Stay safe, Ada."

After he left, I decided to take a trip to the town. I hadn't seen it before and thought it would be nice to get to know some people. The path to get to my cabin was long and but after about half an hour of walking, I emerged onto a wide road heading downhill. A cool breeze washed over me like a wave in the ocean, filling me with happiness. Those past couple days, although hectic, had been the happiest I had ever felt since Miller died. It was weird that I was captured twice and felt that way.

I found myself in the town faster than I expected. It was a cozy small place, minus the cult trucks driving around every now and then. There weren't many people around but the ones I saw seemed on edge. It made sense. Jacob did capture the townspeople every now and then. Damn, how do I feel this way about him? I found a grocery store a few blocks in and decided it would be a good idea to get some more food. I crossed the street and hurried inside.

I wondered the store for a while, grabbing the things I thought I needed and greeting the occasional shopper. I was grabbing a box of spaghetti when I heard the gunshot. I ducked as a storm of glass rained down on me. I looked up to see a familiar face at the end of the aisle, surrounded by a few of his men. I backed away, feeling as if I had been shot.

"Hello, Princess."

(Sorry for such a short part! Have a nice day by the way! Also thank you for 50 reads!)