Chapter Thirty-Two: Control

H A E S

     Kalena frantically rushes to make my coffee, her hands no doubt trembling in fear of me. I could hear the clanking of the little dishes she rattled around in the process. Good Goddess, she was pathetic. The ding of the coffee maker sounded right as she tumbled down from the counter, cup and tiny plate in hand. I didn't know why she thought I wanted a minute little plate to hold my coffee, it was such a waste. Her shaking hands poured the steaming liquid into the dainty cup, surprisingly not dumping it everywhere.

The started to carefully tip in the amount of creamer I liked. I glanced at my watch with my blurry vision, making sure she saw the sardonic gesture. Her face blanched. "I'm so sorry." She insisted, stirring the cup and tumbling over her own feet to bring it too the table I was sat at.

She placed the cup down, the plate and the cup rattling in her hands. The second she put it down, I grasped her bruised wrist and yanked her face to my level. She gasped something awful and I could see tears line her eyes, even with my jacked up sight. "You better hope you didn't fuck it up like last time." I was hoping she messed it up so I could give her a bruised cheek to match the one from last week.

She looked fearful, her wrist taut in my firm grip, ready to rip it away the second I released her. With one last glare, I shoved her away, letting her scurry away to clean the kitchen and back to her corner. I could see her lift her head to peer at me through her peripherals, wondering if I had taken a sip yet. I eased her nerves, picking up the cup and pressing it to my lips. I took a tentative gulp. Once it slid down my throat, I looked at the cup, then to Kalena with a shrug. "It's ok."

She nodded, her shoulders sagging in relief. I stared out the window bleakly. Calla had dug her fingers into my eyes close to a month ago, and I was just starting to regain it. Wolf healing could only bring me so far, and I would forever have bad vision. The waterfall that kept us imprisoned glistened back at me, shining in all its fuzzy, incorrigible glory. I scowled and angry threw back the coffee, the hot liquid making my throat and chest erupt with heat. It was comforting, in a way. I set the cup on the table, pointing at Kalena to pick it up. She started to do her job and I put on my jacket and shoes. I fixed the collar on my coat, before pulling the door open.

     I always left at this time to do my personal business. Kalena didn't know, but she didn't have the right to either. I was in touch with my son's mate's pack, both of us having similar goals. They wanted to bring that useless servant back, and I wanted to see my dearest son suffer for locking me up here for so long. I had been waiting to use the gift I had been given long ago, back when I was a good little alpha. I could control people trough their minds. I had been waiting for Percyus to find his mate, fall in love with her, then rip them apart. Though I had to say, them falling in love took a hell of a lot longer than I thought. Two halves of a whole idiot uniting under a false pretense that they're finally safe.

     I followed the circle stone path up to the waterfall, knowing to escape I had to be granted my freedom. I wasn't. I only got invited in when a new pack member showed up or the council came for the annual checkup. If only they knew how badly I wished to leave this hell hole, dump Kalena's sorry ass on the curb, and start a new life. That was far fetched however. As I stopped next to the glimmering mist, I saw my reflection. The shape of my face was visible, but the details were lost, blended together in a mottled mess. My hair was getting too long, bits of grey contrasted against the dark brown of my hair, making me scowl. I tore my gaze away and closed my eyes, ready to do what I came for.