Chapter 4: Intrusion In The Heart

Tyki's POV

As they exited the pub, Tyki sighed out his frustration as he pulled out a cigarette, his aggravation only growing as he heard Allen following behind him, though from a distance. Ignore him, he thought to himself, turning his head slightly to look at the boy from the corner of his eyes. He was rubbing his neck tenderly with a shadow over his eyes, clearly either shocked and/or angry about what had happened. Of course, he has to follow me, it isn't like he has anywhere else to go.

His annoyance lessened but hadn't completely dissipated throughout their walk through the village. As they made their way to the exit and Allen continued to follow him, a tick of irritation formed on his temple and he huffed out a sigh he did more now that the boy was around him more often. Although I hold certain feelings for the boy, he's really starting to aggravate me. Who does he think he is, stopping me? And just when I thought the Earl forgave me for my last failure, which was also his fault! He pouted visibly at the frustrating thought.

He stopped and turned toward the shorter one, smirking passive-aggressively. "You're still following me, boy? Don't you have an ark that you can control? Can't you just disappear or, better yet, run back to those exorcists you still somehow wish to protect?" He dropped his cigarette onto the ground and stepped on it violently, hoping to communicate the anger he so politely attempted to restrain. "You know, I'm really starting to hate you."

Allen's eyes widened, seeming to be greatly hurt by the comment, before he closed them and turned his nose away arrogantly. "Hah! And you don't think I hate you?"

"As a matter of fact", Tyki grinned just as arrogantly, their banter making him feel somewhat better. "I think you love me. Hah! Who could resist?"

The ex-exorcist's face lit up with embarrassment before he went at the noah, grabbing his collar and violently shaking him and screaming at him frantically for saying such a thing. The noah laughed until he caught sight of an akuma, standing near the exit to the town, in an alleyway where it watched them with a stony expression. Though it looked like a human, any noah could tell the difference between an akuma and a human with ease. This one happened to be a level 5.

Remembering the boy's previous reaction to the level 5 akuma, he pushed him the opposite way, making sure his head didn't turn and his eyes didn't meet the akuma. "Oi, Shounen, how about that icecream, huh? I completely forgot I promised you some", he said nervously, pushing the protesting ex-exorcist to walk away from the akuma. Ignoring his threats, Tyki stole one more glance back at the "man" in the ally, who continued to watch them, as though he'd been sent there specifically to watch them. So, you're watching us, Earl? Is it that you don't trust me? Or did you expect that those exorcists would show up? How long have you been watching?

"What are you doing, Tyki", Allen yelled, finally breaking free from the noah now that his attention was diverted. As he caught sight of the akuma, his cursed eye activated, his eyes widened, and Tyki readied himself to calm him. To his surprise, Allen's expression changed from confused to angry, rather than disgusted, the way he was the last time he'd come in contact with an akuma. He looked bloodthirsty, as though he was ready to attack the akuma and possibly everyone who opposed him.

That's somewhat better... but I still can't let him destroy a level 5 akuma, though it's possible that it would yield to him. The Earl still has only a few of them, so losing one to Allen rather than the order while he's on my watch would get me in even more trouble than I already am in. Besides... he's watching. He turned the boy back toward the village and sighed heavily, readying himself emotionally to attempt to fight the boy off, keeping him from the akuma, which he was so sure he would do. He looked down and raised a confused eyebrow as he caught the boy's hand of innocence clench into a fist and suddenly relax, as though he'd decided to not fight the akuma. You aren't even going to try to fight? How out of the ordinary...