Chapter 28

Nyarai's POV

The silence seemed to echo, bouncing off each wall and targeting Nyarai. Personally. She lifted her eyes to meet Alkira's yellow ones; they seemed to be daring. Nyarai wouldn't bite. She knew Alkira's type, to react would be giving her what she wanted. She did however hold her gaze, steadfast. It was almost a staring contest. Nyarai had seen cats stare for hours and even though she knew it was petty she was going to summon the power of the werecat to help her keep her eyes open.

It was Alkira who broke gaze. "Only Nyarai then?" Her face stretched into a wicked smile.

"I do have some people I'd like to see back home," Naoko whispered.

Alkira's smile fell as she turned her head sharply to Naoko "is that so? Well you can feel that way if you'd like. But think about this, the perfect opportunity to start a new life has just fallen into your lap you'd be stupid not to take it and forget all the shitty things that happened in the past."

Alkira looked around the room for some approval. Cale and Naoko were silent.

"I have people counting on me in the present," Nyarai simply stated.

"Ok sure," Alkira smiled "but why do we have to go after Pan. Why don't we just say F you to Pan and start a new life, one he doesn't control?"

"I'm not leaving my sister behind," Nyarai went back to her room.

She had to make friends with these people in order to get out. How was that possible if they all wanted new lives like Alkira. She slumped down on her bed feeling so betrayed. She thought about Zodwa, how was her dad reacting to this? Would he punish her or would it cause him to actually care about her. To treat her like his daughter. Grief would overwhelm Zodwa's delicate soul and darken it's purity. What did happen to her in the city that day?

Nyarai rolled over trying to remember. She had seen Cale, Naoko and Alkira and walked towards them and Pan had approached. That was the end of her memory. But Zodwa was with her that day. She must have turned around when she realised her sister wasn't there. What did she see? Nyarai wondered and hoped it wasn't her dead body. She didn't understand logically how Pan had pulled this off.

Magic.

Was that going to be the answer to everything now?She supposed she couldn't explain turning into a giant Lion nor could she fully explain what had happened back in that alleyway. But if Pan had tried to save her then his intentions couldn't be that evil.

It all made her head spin. She only hoped Pan could fix this mess.

She looked to the wall. She had spent her first few hours trying to break through it, it turned out her new powers were useless against it as it threw her back at every attempt and remained undamaged. Infuriatingly so.

A few tears rolled down her cheeks, she felt like she was suffocating, she had never had the desire for fresh air before. It was biting down on her now. It's pointed teeth gnawing into her sanity. She wanted to find her sister, who she had seen crying on the news, pull her into her arms and comfort her. To be free to merely do that.

Desperate Nyarai barged out of her room and through the livingroom to the only window. The small circle of stained glass. She could hear the sounds of the city outside of it. Trams tolling, the chatter and the sound of buskers. She wondered if she yelled loud enough would they hear her, would anyone hear her? She clawed at the window, pulled on it, pushed it. It wouldn't move, she was stuck behind it's heavy stain.

Fighting back tears she bawled her hand into a fist. Ready to throw it at the window she felt a soft hand land on it.

"If it didn't work on the walls why would it work on the window?" Naoko's voice was soft and kind as were her eyes though yellowed.

Nyarai froze and remained silent as a tear slid down her face and hit her shoes. Suddenly she was enveloped in Naoko's scent. A hug from a near stranger. It was what Nyarai needed. She allowed herself to cry into Naoko's shoulder as Naoko stroked her back.

"I have friends and a boyfriend at home. I want to see them again," Naoko whispered "even if it's just us we'll find Pan."

Nyarai smiled and wiped her tears "I'm sorry for attacking you before."

"Don't worry about it," Naoko smiled back.

Cale walked over, he looked conflicted "I know how much you care about your sister. I'll help."

Naoko looked to Alkira who was slumped on a couch. Alkira rolled her eyes and let out a hefty sigh. "Fine fine I'm not completely heartless, I suppose I am a little curious but you guys have to promise we kick his ass for this."

Nyarai smiled "he better have a good reason."

Meow Myths,

Look at me not taking a month to update~ What is everyone's thoughts on the book are they liking where it's going? Or is there some other direction you'd like it to go in? Leave your thoughts below~

Vote Comment Share if you enjoyed.

First published 12/3/19

Meow for Now