Cover Me

CLANCY'S POV

As we make our way through the forest, I try to think of ways to make simple conversation. This isn't as easy as it sounds, considering I haven't seen anyone for the past four days. I finally sigh and try to talk to her. "So uh...where are you guys from? I mean, besides Dema."

Orchid sighs. "Well...I was born in Columbus, Ohio and we've been living there ever since then."

I smile as we keep walking. "Oh that's pretty cool. I've heard Ohio is nice. I've never been outside of Dema though."

Orchid is about to respond when we finally reach the large black doors at the entrance of Trench. I shudder, remembering my last time spent here. "You ok?" she asks.

I shake my head to try and get those bad memories out of my mind. "Y-yeah..." I say, not really meaning it, but I don't want her to begin to worry about me when there are much bigger issues to think about. I can tell Orchid isn't really convinced, but she doesn't lead more into it, and I'm grateful. I open the gates and walk in, making sure to hold the door open for her as she walks in after me.

"Thanks," she mumbles.

I nod in answer, closing the door as softly as I can behind both of us.

When we enter, I can already feel the horrible memories of Nico and his nine bishops flooding my mind. It's almost too much to bear, but I know what's at stake here, and so I keep going with Orchid close behind me.

I listen intently to the sounds around me as I try to find my way through the barren terrain. It's deserted, just as I left it. The trees slowly sway in the gentle breeze and I welcome the calmness so my thoughts don't become overwhelmed over being back in Dema.

Suddenly I remember something important. "Cover me," I tell Orchid while I crouch down to get something out of my backpack that I've been lugging around this whole time. It's an extra army green jumpsuit with vibrant yellow paint on both shoulders and a yellow X on the back. The mark of Dema. It's perfectly identical to the one I'm also wearing. I tap Orchid on the shoulder and hand it to her. "You have to put this on. Then they'll easily think you belong here." She hesitates, but ultimately accepts the jumpsuit and slips into it. It's definitely a little big on her, but I think it'll do for now, just until we can get a better one.