One

2 years earlier.

Now, sans (the classic and the comic) was obviously, to anyone who knew him P.C.E., well educated in magic particle physics. He was smart, extremely lazy, and able to remember resets. He was able to remember the many time he had been on the surface.

He meant many. 

His version of Frisk was curious. They liked to explore every path in the underground, every secret room, every reaction - but he was thankful that even when they explored genocide, they reset while in the ruins. His Frisk was not a mass murderer and vowed to never hurt a living soul. His Frisk only reset a couple of times, and only to ensure a better future for the monsters they missed befriending. His Frisk seemed to want them happy.

Humans, though they liked to believe themselves accepting forgiving creatures, were not as welcoming to monsters as his Frisk. Sure, some were nice, but there was always the lucky few who tried to 'cleanse the world' of the 'minor' races.

This didn't just include monsters, sans later learned. It included multiple human 'races' who, when it came down to it, were the same on the inside. Right down to the squishy organs in their own skeleton.

These humans caused the Frisk of his timeline to load more than he cared to remember; because Frisk couldn't save outside of the underground. Every time they or another monster they knew died, Frisk loaded. Frisk loaded, and loaded, and loaded and loaded and loaded and loaded- Just like when they were underground.

And just like before, they were determined.

sans knew about determination. He knew how monster souls couldn't handle too much of it. He knew that determination was what allowed the miserable weed to go back and forth in time like Frisk. He knew it was a 'godly' power. But without the underground, without its magic infused air, he knew that Frisk would never be able to use the determination to save outside of the 35 points.

He theorized that, in the future, Frisk would be able to save on the surface. In areas where monsters had lived for a while or areas in which there was a concentration of magic compatible with their soul, Frisk would be able to save their lives on the surface. The problem was just staying in a load long enough. 

There was also a new problem showing up in his lab. He was starting to pick up frequencies of other places. Other timelines.

In theory, this was an incredible find. A timeline that diverged and branched off of his own coming back to the original (or so he believed his to be) - the endless possibilities that split them - he would be able to study the waves and determine (heh) what occurred when different choices were made. It would be the largest scientific discovery of the century -

He theorized that, in each of the timelines, there was a 'Frisk'. I mean, alternate versions of oneself were bound to occur in said alternate timelines (universes, maybe?), but there was always one human who fell into the underground. That human probably had the same capabilities as their own Frisk, and could reset and load.

sans could now read the magical waves that happened during a reset through these other worlds. He understood the magical surges and partical charges that were associated.

It was like a code - for the most part, the action of resetting and loading used the same thread, but the last 10-infinite numbers were different. He theorized that those numbers where what made the timelines different - or that they were the 'code' of the different places saved.

With each bounce in the waves, the timelines were coming closer and closer, and sans finally shared his discovery with Alphys. By that time, line '1000' as he dubbed it, was coming extremely close.