Chapter 7

One month later

"Hey Sebastian," I greet as I walk into the room Matilda, Lance, Sebastian, and I share as a trio. I'm glad it's them I'm sharing a room with. I haven't taken testosterone because I don't want facial hair and I want to be able to pass as a girl as well as a boy. Because of this, I look like I could be a male or female and you can't really tell which I am. I really like where I'm at. It makes everything easier that they're cool with it.

Sebastian and I have gotten a lot closer in the time that I've been here. Sharing a mind technique, being roomed together, and going through many battles together has strengthened our bond. This is definitely a good thing, but it's also a bad thing. The more I get to know Sebastian, the more I get attracted to him. At first, it was just his good looks. Now, I feel a strong bond between us, and his personality is exactly what I look for in a partner.

He's caring, sarcastic, like me, funny, straight to the point, confident, yet shy at times, has my taste in music, and he's always there. I can't remember a time when he lost his temper. He's very kind and always helping others. I can't help but feel like we were meant to be. I just don't know if he feels the same way. Whenever we're mind-linked, I have to make sure that I don't think about this. If he finds out I don't know what he will do. I think there's a possibility that he returns my feeling, but I can't be sure.

Sebastian's POV

Floyd has been here about a month. I've been frustrated for a month. He's so attractive and all I want to do is hold him in my arms. Or rather, I want him to hold me in his arms. I may be older, but he's about five inches taller. Not only is Floyd attractive in his looks, but he's also attractive in his personality. He's kind, funny, protective, fashionable, has my taste in music, and all in all, has a bubbly emo attitude. Whenever he walks into the room, my whole day brightens. He's the rainbow to my stormy night.

"Hey, Sebastian," I hear Floyd say. I jump off my bunk bed and walk out of Floyd and I's room. "Hey," I reply, "What's up?"

"I wanted to ask-." He's cut off as the S.S. blasts through the air. We both cringe and cover our ears. Even after being here for years, my ears always ache when I hear the insane blare.

Sighing we jog back the way Floyd came from. The giant doors groan open and we run over to our runways. We clear our minds, brush hands, and start to shift.

The battles have been getting a lot more frequent lately. We're not really sure why. The Moral Armies have won almost every single one. It appears that the Vile Armies have shrunk in not only power but also numbers. With each passing battle, they become weaker and weaker. We don't know for sure, but we think that Voltriss is gathering all of his forces so that the can have one mass attack.

Floyd and I finish shifting as Matilda and Lance run over with our saddles. Then strap them on and we wait for the green lights on the walls of the room to flash and signal that we can take off. I feel Lance climb onto my broad black back and into the leather saddle as I register Matilda hoisting herself onto Floyd's back through Floyd and I's mind technique. The lights start to flash green and I stand up from my crouch. "See you on the other side," I say to Floyd as I look at him. He looks over at me and nods. I know we're both trying not to worry about the other and I also know that we're only okay with the other going out because we're going out as well. I feel Lance activate our mind technique as I rush forward. The glass dome opens and I dive through it.

I feel the wind as it howls past us. I see the Earth rushing closer and closer. The fighting below becomes more clear. I can hear their thunderous roars. I close my eyes for a second, and when I can smell the warriors' sweet, I open them and unfold my wings.

Floyd's POV

I'm walking down the hallways towards the chow hall. The battle we just had only lasted an hour or two. The battles lengths have slowly been becoming shorter and shorter. The shifters have become less needed. We all just sit around and wait. We all wonder what will happen. Where is Voltriss planning on striking?

I'm torn out of my thoughts when I'm roughly shoved against the hallway wall. I feel a blistering pain in my nose that spreads throughout my face quickly. My eyes tear up as the bullet ant pain rushes through me. My hands fly up to my face and I fall to my knees. Gasping, the only two things I can register are pain and a frequency wave exploding around me and rolling away in waves. I try to open my eyes, but all I see is a blur. Tears and blood are gushing down my face and I'm starting to hiccup.

As I continue to groan in pain, I slowly gain my senses back. When my ears stop ringing, I hear the distant sound of screams and shouts along with multiple crashes. The noises quickly get closer and closer. My brain is still a little fuzzy so I sit in confusion for a while. When the noises get close enough, I also detect the sound of wings. I look down the hallway as I see the culprit of the noise emerge. My brain is finally clear as I put two and two together. When I was hurt, my frequency wave went out and Sebastian heard it. He recognized it as mine and immediately came to help me. From the looks of it, he's lost control of his dragon.

His nostrils are flaring as smoke pours from them. His eyes are wild and his wings are flapping frantically. If the noises from before are any indication Sebastian was in the middle of a hallway when he shifted. I'm also guessing that he was in a panic on the way over.

I close my eyes and try to breathe deeply as Sebastian gets closer. When the noise is almost on top of me it suddenly stops. For a few seconds, the air is still. Then, there's a thud and rustle on the floor. I whine as arms wrap around me from behind. A hand comes up to my face and angles it so he can see.

Sebastian growls lowly in his throat as he asks, "What happened sweets?" My heart swells at the name, but so does my nose. I groan again as I slowly answer. "I was walking down the hall when something bumped me from behind. My face got slammed into the wall. I think I broke my nose."

Sebastian calms down a little bit now that he knows I'm not in danger of dying. Sebastian stands up, then bends down and scoops me up. Gasping in surprise I ask, "What are you doing? I'm twice your size!" He chuckles and says, "I'm carrying you to the infirmary, and no, you're not."

"Hey Sebastian," I say. "Why are you always so grumpy in your dragon form?" He turns his head to look at me sitting in his arms. "Well," Sebastian starts, "I'm not always grumpy in dragon form. I'm grumpy when I'm not outside. You see, I'm claustrophobic, so I don't like confined spaces. In dragon form, I grow really big and there's not as much room for me. When I'm outside, it's a lot better. I can fly in and infinite space. Being confined in my dragon form makes me nervous. I try to cover the nerves with anger."

"Oh," I whisper. Sebastian grunts in response. "Are you sure I'm not too heavy?" I inquire. "Oh shut up. You may be tall but you're a stick," he teases. I huff and cross my arms.

Sebastian and I have been sitting in the infirmary for the past thirty minutes. My nose finally stopped bleeding. Sebastian has finally relaxed. I was right when I thought my nose was broken. As soon as we got here, they popped it back in place. I'm not sure, but I think that that hurt more than the initial break.

I'm a little confused though. On my first day at Cancer, Lance had been hurt and a frequency wave had been sent out. Sebastian had gotten very agitated and worried. Today, he completely lost control. Why did that happen? He's only known me for a month or two. He's known Lance for years. Why did he show more of a reaction when I was hurt compared to when Lance was hurt? Is it possible that he likes me like I like him?

Sebastian's POV

I have to admit, when I hear Floyd's frequency wave, it scared the shit out of me. I've only known him for a few months and I'm already attached to him. I have no idea what I would do if I lost him.

When I heard his wave, I completely lost control. I shifted into my dragon form in the middle of a hallway for christ's sake! If I'm not careful, he'll find out I like him or I'll accidentally hurt someone.