Progress

Dear diary,

        Bella came home somewhere around afternoon the next day. Even in her eternal, ethereal beauty, I could tell she had had a hard day. The frowns on her forehead were distinct, and she looked tired, not physically, but mentally. I knew everyone wanted to ask her how it went, but they kept their distances. As soon as she walked in through the door, I wrapped her up in my arms, planting on her lips a scorching kiss. Any day seemed long without her, and that was my way of telling her that.

“Have I told you how much I love being welcomed home this way?” She smiled against my lips.

“Many times, love.” I nodded, grinning like a fool, “But come on, we need to escape before the family accosts you.” I heard a few protesting groans from inside, and a chorus of ‘Ew’. I paid them no heed, and slipped out of the backdoor to our meadow, with Bella by my side.  

Atlin hardly had any warm days. No matter what time time of the year it may be, there was always a nip in the air. If you looked hard enough, you could see the fog rising up as your breathed out. Bella and I walked silently, hand in hand, blending into the atmosphere of the Great White North. I could tell, from the grip of her hand, that she was itching to say something. I almost wanted to coax it out of her, but I let her take the lead.

“Edward? Did you hear?” I heard Bella say, and I looked up to see her brow frowning in confusion.

“What, Bella?”  

“I asked you how everything was back here? Did Nessie say something?” She clarified.  

I realized instantly why she was confused. Bella had not met Katherine yet, and she had obviously been trying to get me under her shield.

“Oh, love, I didn’t tell you. We have guests.” I smiled at her softly.  

“I figured as much. I thought I smelled a human.” A hint of recollection hit her face.

“Yes. A couple: Mark and Katherine. They’re here because they need out help. She’s pregnant.” I wiggled my eyebrows, and Bella’s eyes lit up.

“Really? Wow.” she chuckled, probably realizing why they—Mark and Katherine, that is—needed our help.

“Yeah. And apparently, she is some sort of an . . . antidote, you could say. Our powers don’t work anywhere in a two mile radius of her.” I told her, still in awe that a human mind could have that much potential.  

        Frankly, the only one of her kind I had ever met was Bella. Her mind had been completely closed off: shielded even to the most potent of mind penetration, except, well, Nessie.

“Oh my . . . is that even possible? I mean, that has to be the mind of the century, or something like that. Imagine that, huh. And here I thought you were thinking about something else.” Bella nodded in awe.

“Maybe. Carlisle wants to look into it. I do too, but I think we should ask her first. I wonder how much more powerful she will be once she’s been changed. I would have told you sooner, but we have more pressing matters on our hand, don’t we?” 

        The awe faded from Bella’s face and was replaced by anxiety as she recalled the real reason why we were here. We were almost at our meadow; I could hear the stream that bubbled nearby.

“Well, one thing’s for sure.” She sighed, “Charlie hates you. He still thinks you slaved me into this relationship.”  

        As much as I wanted to defend myself, I had pretty much expected that response from Chief Swan. We were both no strangers to fatherhood. Therefore, I understood where he was coming from. I knew I would hate to see Nessie go off with a guy who struck me as a monster. Hell, I would rip the guy a new one, because I could do that. Bella and I had reached our meadow by now, and I took her by hand and led her to the center of it. Once there, I sank to the ground, pulling her with me and onto my lap. She looked at me for a few moments with exhausted, disappointed eyes, and then resorted to picking flowers and shredding the grass on the ground.