CHAPTER ONE

GIRLS NIGHT OUT

[ CHAPTER ONE: THE RECKONING ]

"DO YOU WANT TO COME TO MY SLEEPOVER?"

⟡⟡⟡⟡

IT WAS FINALLY THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL and Ramona Song couldn't be happier that middle school was finally over. Middle school was small, too small if you asked her. Nowhere for her to spread her wings and fly, nowhere for her to show her natural talents and absolutely nowhere for her to feel truly herself. Romana Song was glad middle school was over, because high school is where she truly belonged...at least for the next four years.

Ramona liked to think of high school as an opportunity for reinvention. Of course, she loved everything about herself, you had to if you wanted to make it some day. But, Ramona knew she loved herself a little too much. She was never conceited or vapid, no she was self-confident and wise. She would never say that was a bad thing, but Ramona knew high school was nowhere near the simple and stereotypical social hierarchy that was middle school. You could make it in middle school by knowing people, but if you wanted to survive high school you had to have back up.

Ramona was a smart and cunning girl, and being smart and cunning entailed her to be two steps in front of everyone at Abbott Middle. She had to, to survive those three awful years filled with self-doubts, unsureness, and growing up. Being two steps ahead also meant that if she was going to make friends this summer, she had to asap. The summer before high school begins is a crucial one, and Ramona wasn't going into the upcoming school year blind.

With thoughts of making friends on her mind, Ramona glided down the hallway, loving the feeling of people moving out of her way. It was a nice feeling knowing people knew enough of who you were and respected that. She seamlessly dialed in her locker combination, grateful for this being the last time she had to deal with her janky lock.

Swiping the papers that kids threw up in the air out of her way, Ramona laughed at all the chaos. It was like if everyone (including the sixth graders) were excited that they were leaving. Ramona grinned as she made her way closer to the staircase which meant closer to the doors separating her and the outside world.

"Speak of the devils." Ramona heard Julie Corky whisper to her best friend Hannah Carlson. The two girls stood in the middle of the hallway along with Farrah James and Yancy Williams and were watching two girls walk towards them. Ramona had never been a fan of Liz and Staci, they were two pretty girls who decided that being pretty was enough of a personality trait to last them a lifetime. Annoying trolls if you asked Ramona.

"Hey, Yancy, my father's a lawyer." Liz started as she and Staci stopped in front of the girls. Ramona who was as nosy as ever stood next to Yancy waiting Liz's next words which she knew were going to be trash.

"Oh?" Yancy asked with a smile.

"He could help you sue the diet pill company for nonperformance." Ramona felt her jaw clench in anger.

"Hey Liz? My dad's a neurologist." Ramona called out gaining the blonde's attention along with the rest of the groups. "He could help you with whatever problems you have going on up there. I can even get you a discount if you like."

Ramona raised her brow as Staci and Liz stared at her with open mouths.

"Might want to close that before you let flies in." Giving the two a very fake smile, Ramona continued her walk towards the staircase failing to notice the glares heading her way. It seemed as though Ramona's reinvention was taking a drastic turn and she'd be lying if she said she didn't love it.

"Hey Ramona!" The Asian girl could barely hear in the bustling hallway, but had luckily managed to hear her name being called from behind her. Turning around, she smiled a genuine smile at the four girls coming her way.

"Hey Julie."

"That was really cool what you did back there." Julie started but quickly got cut off by Ramona's shaking head.

"Staci and Liz deserve a reckoning Julie, I'm just glad to be the start of it." Turning her head towards Yancy, Ramona's smug grin faded. "You okay, Yancy?"

The shorter girl nodded quickly, "Yeah I am. Thanks for sticking up for me." Ramona let out a no problem, assuring the girl that it wasn't a big deal.

"Hey Ramona?"

"Yeah, Julie?" The Asian girl asked concerned.

"Do you want to come to my sleepover?"

authors note

I am so excited for this story you guys have no idea anyways thank you everyone who has read so far love you!!!