Broken light

Colours. That's the first thing I remember. As a child, I already had vivid dreams. The most colourful one returned time and time again.

First I was in a dark environment, the colour of a low note. So low that you are not aware of the constant humming, but you still notice it if it suddenly falls away. Then broad bands wrapped themselves around me, as a vibrating tone, and even if they hadn't surrounded me, it would have felt like an embrace. I melted away and then a ball exploded in front of my nose in a waterfall of hues that all could have been the laugh of someone I care for and the shreds burrowed me. Bright dots floated in between them as warm – no, cold – no, warm – I don't know – as water droplets. I began to fly, faster than the wind, and the colour that waved around me, sparkled like that, too. At last, a whirlwind of fragile spots with a colour like the sharp scent of thyme dragged me down. Every time I woke up as if the world was a fluffy cloud. Or my bed at least. Back then that was half of my world. The memory still leaves a peaceful feeling behind, but that was my childhood. Now ...

Enough meditation. I press on my watch and the metallic voice tells me that half eight has already passed, and I still have to get up. I might be well-trained, but I'm not that quick, unfortunately. At half past nine, everything has to be ready, because Andreas will be here by then.

I'm almost out of sandwich filling. Damn, I'll have to find my way through that bloody city yet again one of the following days, unless Andreas brings something for me as well. I'd prefer to live amid the green, but then I wouldn't be allowed to live on my own because I'd be too difficult to get to - mainly for the assistance services, that is. Fortunately, Andreas will take care of the food today and tomorrow. And of the other practical stuff. I only have to bring along my personal items, which are only my clothes and my painting materials.

***

Dull knocks on the door reverberate through the hall. The acoustics of my apartment are a little too good.

"Ringing the bell like a normal person certainly isn't possible, is it?! I'll let you climb in by the balcony if you continue that way!" My hand glides alongside the walls while I walk to the front door.

"I've already rung three times, but you didn't hear me."

"That shit bell stopped working, you mean. I'm not deaf yet."

"Good to see you."

"Good to not see you. Not hearing you would have been even better."

"I can make you deaf if you want."

"By all means, don't."

"Are we going?"

"My things are on the table."

We take the elevator. On a staircase, you can trip just a bit more easily and with a broken leg, I'd be completely dependent for sure.

"Don't sit on the backseat. I put the tent there already."

"As if I ever sit on the backseat."

"I just wanted to make sure. You don't have to look so angry."

"Very funny. Besides, you're standing behind me." I install myself on the passenger seat.

***

I know it immediately when we're on the Ring. I scrunch my nose. That damned odour!

"Did you eat a lemon?"

"Don't you smell something?"

"What? I didn't do anything!"

"Not like that. Either you lost your sense of smell completely, or else you've driven around so much amidst those stink bombs on four wheels that you don't smell them anymore. How can you stand that stench?"