Chapter 37

When Vince called Jordan at 6:00 a.m. Puerto Rico time, internationally, on his cell phone, instead of emailing or waiting for him to log onto Skype, Jordan finally understood how serious his grandmother's illness had become. She had days, maybe, if she was lucky. They were surprised she'd even lasted these past few months, but she'd always been stubborn. Jordan had never realized stubbornness could apply to this kind of thing.

He was still staring at the blank screen of his cell phone thirty minutes later. He was still on his bed, in the same position he had been when he'd gotten the news.

He swallowed. He had to go see her. He didn't want this to be the last thing about her that he'd remember, but he'd regret it for the rest of his life if he didn't go. Even though she hated him, now, he still loved her, and she'd been such an important part of his life for so long.

In his left hand was the scrap of paper with the address of the hospice scribbled on it. His phone hung loose in his right.

Almost an hour had passed and it was about 5:00 in the morning. Would Darcey be awake? Jordan sent him a quick text.

I need to talk to you. I have to see my grandma. She's dying.

Terrence would be asleep for hours, yet. Iffy wouldn't be up until 8:00, and Nate until 9:00. If Darcey didn't answer, there was nobody else.

About a half an hour later, Darcey called him.

"Hey," Jordan murmured.

"How can I help?" Darcey asked. "What can I do?"

Jordan smiled and sobbed at the same time, lurching forward and covering his mouth like he was about to vomit. "I don't know," he choked. The tightness in his throat was sharp, like barbed wire. "I don't... oh, god, Darcey, I haven't talked to her in six years. But I have to see her. If I don't at least try, I'll hate myself forever."

"Okay," Darcey said softly. "Do you want me to take you to wherever she is?" His voice was hesitant. "I assume in some kind of assisted care? Are they open on weekends?"

"You don't have to," Jordan said, because he didn't want Darcey to be uncomfortable. But his voice was small and afraid, because, yes, he did want Darcey to go with him, to be there to keep him safe.

"I don't care what they'll think of me," Darcey said. "After what they did to you? Fuck them. I'm just worried about you and how that will affect the way you're treated there."

"Then yes," Jordan said. His voice was wavery and watery. "Please."

"Okay." There was a pause and a muffled groan, then Darcey cleared his throat and said, a little clearer, "Well, I'm just waking up right now, so it'll take me a few minutes. Are there visiting hours or can you go in whenever?"

"My cousin said whenever."

"I have to see if my mom's up and ask her about the car," Darcey said. "If I can't take it, I'll have to take the bus, and it doesn't start running until seven. I'll text you and let you know once I know, okay?"

"Okay." Jordan paused to clear his throat, pressing his hand to his mouth as he tried to force himself to breathe. "I'm going to need at least an hour to get my shit together before I can leave the house, so that's okay."

"All right. I'm getting close to being able to afford a shitty beater car. Maybe in the next month or so."

"Thank you, Darcey," Jordan said, half a phrase behind in the conversation.

"Of course."

"No," he repeated, softer, but firmer. "Thank you."

Darcey paused. "You're welcome. I'll let you know when I can be over, okay? I love you."