03

03 : NIGHT NUMBER ONE

They were at an ice-cream parlour, very far from her apartment. Yes, her apartment. That little note Adam left made her realize that might be his way of breaking her up. Now that she thought of it, she chuckled. He couldn't even grow the balls to break it off right in front of her face.

What a coward.

Damian ordered milkshake and a sandwich. How weird for an ice-cream parlour to have those on their menu. And Heidi ordered some Banana Split- her favourite.

"How are you?" Damian suddenly asked.

"Fine."

He looked at her and slight narrowed his eyes. She wasn't fine at all.

"Look, I'm fine Damian. See," she forced out a smile showing all of her teeth. Damian made a remark on how her real smiles never really showed teeth and that led her to pouting. It was silent after that. Neither of them wanted to break it. It was comfortable, to say the least. Heidi with her ice-cream, and Damian with his milkshake. That thought made her giggle.

"What's so funny?" Her eyes widened. She must've giggled a bit louder than the usual.

"You drinking your milkshake reminded me of that song," he asked what song. She didn't want to sing it. He asked her again to sing and pretended to not know what song she was talking about. Of course he knew. That smirk playing on his face said so. Heidi sighed and started to do silly dance moves according to the beat, "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yards!" She continued to sing and her arms unconsciously started to do wave-like motions.

Suddenly, a flash stopped her from dancing and singing. "What the hell!" She exclaimed. She looked at a grinning Damian. His face was so proud of what he just did. The slim image came out of his polaroid and he took it. He let it dried out before writing 'CRAZIEST GIRL I'VE EVER MET' on the white space at the bottom of the picture.

~

He liked looking at her.

She was so happy whenever she dances and sing. Her eyes would unintentionally widen, her eyebrows would jolt up and her teeth would show. He liked it. That is why he instantly took out his polaroid and took a spontaneous picture of her.

It was his thing: taking a picture and write out a caption suitable to the said image. Heidi did the same thing too, only rarely. She didn't even own a polaroid to start with. She would only use his.

He also liked that. He liked the fact they were so close with each other.

"Let me see that," Heidi insisted. After he wrote down the caption, he showed it to her. She took the picture from his grip, along with his marker. He could see her crossing out some words and began to scribble.

"CRAZIEST GIRL(scratched out) PERSON I'VE EVER MET"

He let out a chuckle. Oh, how true that statement was. Heidi was, indeed, the craziest person he ever met. With his boring life, she was the only person he knew to throw a tantrum over the littlest things. But what he liked about her was that she only trash her own things, she never have ever crushed others' personal belongings. She thought it was rude and a waste of time for other significants.

~

She didn't mind him taking pictures of her. That kind of showed her that some people actually look at her and, hopefully, admire her. She continued eating her beloved sundae, which was now on its way in finishing, and looked at Damian. He was too engrossed in eating his sandwich. At one point he began to act like a child where he pretended the sandwich was a plane and he ate it all at once as if he was a giant. He even made plane noises.

She slowly took his polaroid next to his plate and looked around. He didn't mind her using his polaroid, she knew that, as long as she didn't use up all his film, or else she would buy some for him. Another thing she didn't mind. She was, in fact, also responsible for that camera.

She took a few pictures of the things surrounding them. The big white and red striped umbrellas, the plants nearby and also the ice cream fridge thingy at the counter. She looked at Damian and saw him taking the cherry from his milkshake and ate it at once. Heidi didn't hesitate to take a picture.

The image printed out and she let it dried. She smiled at her little accomplishment in taking a picture of him. She wanted him to know she was there looking at him.

'HUNGRY SUCKER'

~

The night sky was presenting a twinkling show. He looked to his left and saw Heidi admiring the stars above. He hoped he could at least take her mind off of Adam. He didn't know he was staring until she called him, informing him they were already at her apartment complex.

He could feel the slight blush on his face.

"Thank you for tonight," she rubbed her eyes involuntarily. He stretched his arms, signaling her to walk forward and hug him.

And that was exactly what she did.

For a good 5 minutes.

***