Chapter 2

Once the car was running and the heat was roaring Sarah calmed down. They were already halfway home but the drive was quiet yet full of noisy thoughts. What on earth was that all about? she thought. And as if reading her mind, grandma said, "don't let that nosy old hag get to you."
Sarah stifled a laugh, she couldn't believe her grandma would speak in that way. Grandma was always so proper, at least she was before grandpa passed.
"I just don't see why she's so damn pushy about it, is all. Flu shots are for old people. No offence." Sarah glanced over at grandma, watching her reaction.
"None taken. I'd have to be old I guess."
"Your absolutely right," Sarah said, laughing. "You're not old. Your mature."
"And if you're lucky, you'll be as mature as me one day," she said, loosening her scarf. "My gosh girl. Are you trying to cook me out of your car?"
Sarah cranked the heater down to a steady medium, "I thought mature people needed more heat. You know, cause the blood thins, right?" Sarah glanced over as she somewhat pulled away, waiting for a smart come back.
"Heat is just fine. But that was like sitting inside hell's furnace! I thought I was going catch fire."
Sarah turned left at the four-way and then a quick right into New Gables Retirement Home. The ranch style deemed the complex modern and cozy, And though it was a retirement community, due to her unique situation she was allowed to keep residency with her grandparents. As she drove the For Sale signs seemed to beacon out like targets. And something knotted in the pit of her stomach. It was worry. Stress always made her feel nauseous.
She spun her head to see unit 32, the Selton's place up for sale. She swore she hadn't seen that sign when she left for school.
"What the?"
"I know! The real estate lady came by around 11:00 this morning. I just happened to be by the window." A look of chagrin crossed grandma's rosy cheeks.
Instead of pulling the car into the stall she let it idle in front of their unit while they chatted.
"I didn't even know they were moving," said Sarah.
"After Will passed...well, Donna just can't be there anymore. She didn't say that, but I can tell. Donna says she just wants to downsize but you can't fool a mature woman like myself."
Sarah glanced at her phone and read the time, it was 1:15. She had fifteen minutes to get back to Gables Secondary School and be in her last class with Mr. Anders for math. But she was stuck in the moment, still thinking about Donna Selton, it made her feel even worse.
"What happened to Mr. Selton? I didn't even know he passed away." Her hands waved around in frustration.
"Oh, didn't I tell you? Hmm, I thought I told you."
Grandma's brow wrinkled, struggling with jumbled thoughts. But her hands were busy readjusting her scarf.
"Well I guess that's part and parcel with maturity," Sarah said with a touch of facetiousness.
"Don't start with me young lady. I know when you sleep," her bright eyes sparkled with mischievousness.
"Hilarious. I gotta go. I can make a stop at the store on my way back if there's anything you need."
Grandma pulled Sarah's long red bangs from her face when she said, "you sure look like your mother. I liked her, she was a good woman. Poor thing."
"Grandma?"
"Oh, right. Sorry, I get lost sometimes. Some eggs, and bread. Do you have enough?"
Sarah nodded, gave grandma a quick peck on the cheek and slipped the gear into drive.
"See you soon," said grandma. As she stepped out, the winter sun kissed her white hair, a slight hint of blue shone through.
"Oh,' she said peeking back through the crack in the doorframe. "Don't get old."
Sarah smiled and watched grandma teeter her into the townhouse.