chapter 2

“There’s been an attack in summer. Everyone up”

I whirled around, getting to my feet as I did.  Meghan had explained that this war would be fought in smaller battles rather than just one large fight. Rather than sending all their troops to be killed at once, if they let a small group out, that group could use the magic of the nevernever to grow stronger and learn our style of fighting. There would be a final fight at one point, and when it came Ethan, Keirran and I were going to try and find my mum. I wanted nothing more than to see her, to hug her before I went out to war. I didn’t have that option though. I was dressed head to toe in armour, my perfectly sharpened blade at my side. Before I knew what was going on we were given horses, great large beasts, made of metal that could talk. Normally I would have been marching along with the other troops but as I was a friend of the iron prince I had been allowed to ride upfront with Keirran, Ethan, and all the other important members of the Iron Realm. Meghan, Ash and Glitch along with a few others had stayed in the palace to continue to plan the war. They would show up at the end war though. Without Meghan we didn’t stand a chance. For now though, as her only child, Keirran was leading us. He gave a loud battle cry and urged his horse on. Before I knew what was going on we were charging down the hill towards the forgotten. As we collided with the Forgotten many of them were trampled by the charging iron beasts. I watched as Keirran took of one of their heads with a graceful sweep of his sword. I quickly unsheathed my own sword as my horse,  coaleater, galloped through the army of forgotten. 

 Just as I was about to land the killing blow on       a weird part goat part dog forgotten, a forgotten arrow came whizzing out of nowhere and lodged itself in coaleater’s  stomach. With a cry he fell to the ground, joining the dead and the wounded on the floor of the battlefield. With no horse I was at a disadvantage. Before I knew what was going on a forgotten blade sliced my upper thigh. I almost sank to the ground in defeat, I had never felt such physical pain in my life. My mind went back to my training with Ash. Never give up. If you give in they will not think twice about killing you. Engage them in combat no matter how wounded you are. If you are going to go down, make sure you go down fighting. I would. Just because I’m a human doesn’t mean I’m weak. The forgotten made to cut my arm but I got there first and sank my sword deep into his chest. He gaped at me in surprise for a moment before I yanked the sword out and he screamed in pain before crumpling to the floor, never to move again. The forgotten want a fight? I’ll give them a fight.