chapter 5

"Why can't we start in the Seelie court?" I complained, remembering the numbing cold and biting winds of the home of the winter fey.

"Look at it this way; if we go to winter first we can warm up in the summer court." That made sense, I guess, but after almost dying from the cold I didn't feel much obliged to walk willing into the heart of the coldest place in the universe, home of the unseelie queen who could freeze your insides without lifting so much as her little finger. At least this time I was more suitable dressed, in a shirt made of thick warm material and a long black coat that reminded me a little bit of batman's cape for some reason. I gave a deep sigh. Lets just get this over with I thought as I gathered my strength and nodded reluctantly at the iron prince who was dress similarly to myself and Ethan.

Tir Na Nog was just how I remembered it. Blisteringly cold, with terrific winds of up to 100mph. I couldn't tell one part of the land of the unseelie fey apart from the rest. Everything looked the same, dead, barren and covered in snow. We could have been walking in circles for all I knew. I had to trust Keirran to navigate our way to the castle.

 The sound of the wind, blowing harshly against us, and our steed's hooves as they plodded over the frozen earth was all that could be heard as we made our way silently towards the palace. To say I was terrified would have been an understatement. I had heard tales of the unseelie queen and she defiantly didn't sound like someone you wanted to cross. Rumour had it that she trapped her enemies in ice and decorated her courtyard with them, trapped for eternity, or until she released them purely because it amused her to do so, forever unable to breath, not able to die. I shivered, and this time not from the cold.  I allowed my thoughts to wander off, taking me away from the forbidding walk through the frozen lands, back to a time where things were easier, when my worries consisted of maths homework and spelling tests. I was brought out of fond memories and back to the deadly, terrifying world that I was now a part of, when I heard the sounds of voices far into the distance. I raised myself in the saddle, craning to get a better look at the faery who had spoken.

They weren't as far off as I thought. A crew of redcaps were snarling at a strange looking faery that I recognized from the illustrations in my faery books that my father would buy me. A kobold. Small creatures with lizard like features, smiths for the winter court and just as ruthless as the other unseelie fey. It looked like a fight was starting.

"Let's get out of here before the fighting starts." Keirran muttered, looking annoyed. "I had hoped we wouldn't run into trouble but I guess that was a bit much to ask. It is Tir Na Nog after all." He gave a small humorless smile, before kicking the iron horse he was riding into action, leaving , Ethan and I alone. I gave a deep sigh, and kicked my horse in the ribs, signalling him to go after Keirran. He plunged straight into a high speed gallop, almost unseating me in the process. We tore down the field the bitter cold wind hitting me full in the face, making it impossible to breath. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the fey turn to us. They growled and started towards us, causing my heart to go a hundred miles a minute. I knew they couldn't catch us, we were going much too fast, but if there was one thing that faery had taught me it was expect the unexpected.  To my relief they pulled up short when they realized that our horses were made of iron. I smirked. Perhaps the unseelie fey wouldn't try and rip me apart after all.

The Winter palace was huge. And cold. As soon as I saw the unseelie queen any confidence that I had gained thinking we would be safe vanished instantly, only to be replaced by fear. She was tall and slim, with midnight black hair. She radiated power, much like the iron queen, only this power was cold and deadly. She regarded us with a cool expression, making no attempt to hide her displeasure at our arrival. Keirran stopped just short of her throne, bowing his head slightly.

"Prince Keirran." Her voice echoed the power that surrounded her, making me tremble. "I would have you decorate my courtyard for bring those iron abominations into my land." My heart fluttered in my chest, and my brain kicked into action, imagining all the horrible things she could do to me. she gave me an evil smile, much like one a cat would give the mouse before it pounces. I stopped suddenly realizing that she was using the glamour to twist my thoughts, trick me into thinking all these things. Not that it made much of a difference, I sure I would have freaked out regardless. "However, I'm sure the Iron Queen would not risk the wrath of the unseelie court. Why do you come?"

"Lady Mab, my queen sends her apologies  but the situation has become dire. She wishes to send you a message..."