2. Seedhi, Sadhi, Pyaari si Bahu

'Brother ko khush karna jaane
Jo sabke dil mein, Dua si basse
Model ho world best, Par mitti ho Indian
Dhoondoon mein dhoondoon, mere brother ki dulhan'
~ Mere Brother Ki Dulhan from Mere Brother ki Dulhan

Inside the house, Prem's aunt is sat on a sofa adjacent to the armchair his uncle is sat on, the two already talking about his elder brother. Prem and his mama say nothing as they take seats on the floor and the sofa respectively, Laloo having headed off to join Chameli in the kitchen, aware that his presence won't be welcome.

Prem leans forwards and snags a sandwich from the coffee table, barely paying attention to what his mami is saying past the first few sentences, choosing to feed and play with Tuffy instead; though he agrees that his brother is praiseworthy, he hears the same speech far too often to bother tuning in. He's listening in just about to enough to hear as his aunt says 'Ab uski shaadi ke baare mein soccho.' (Now think about his marriage.) On hearing those words, Prem forces himself to pay attention, wanting to hear about his potential future-bhabhi.

'Bhabhi-ji agar, koi ladki nazar mein ho toh bataye,' (If you have a girl in mind, let me know,) Prem's kaka tells her politely, hardly paying attention as he signs the documents in his hand and gives it back to the secretary standing behind him.

'I've already found one,' the woman says proudly.

'Really?' kaka asks, raising an eyebrow, his expression almost sceptical.

Mami nods, beginning to explain. 'Mein Rita ki badi behen, Sweety, ke bare mein baat kar rahe hoon,' (I'm talking about Rita's older sister) she begins, pointing to the girl beside her. 'Sweety badi sundaar, susheel, samjdar ladki hain, kyun ji?' (Sweety is a very beautiful, well-mannered, intelligent girl, am I right?) She nudges her husband, indicating for him to take over, hoping he'll help her prove the point.

'Haan bilkul,' (Yes completely,) the man agrees, sitting forwards. 'BA fail hain; she's a very modern girl. Doh-chaar sagai bhi tootchukee bhi hain, kyun ji?' (She's failed university... She's broken off a few engagements too, right?) His wife sends a glare his way and quickly begins to defend her niece.

'Toh kya? Look at their house and their lifestyle, their business. The wedding will be a grand affair and she'll bring a lot of dowry too,' she protests, her smile far too forced for anyone to believe. 'But what would you understand, you're only a college professor.' The man doesn't bother to say anything, knowing better than to bother getting into this argument with his wife, simply rolls his eyes and settles back into the sofa.

Looking around for a distraction, her eyes land on the clock on the wall. 'Rita, it's time for our kitty party, chalo chalo!' she exclaims, grabbing hold of her niece's arm and pulling her to her feet. 'Bhaaisaab, aap haan kahe toh mein apne bhaiya ko khabar bhejvado,' (If you say yes, I'll let my brother know,) she says, nodding to him before leading Rita away, much to the girl's dismay.

The men wait until the women are gone before letting out simultaneous breaths of relief.

'Kaka, you're not seriously thinking about getting bhaiya married to Rita's sister, are you?' Prem questions, mostly sure that his uncle will say no but, considering the amount of pressure on the man to get his elder brother married and the way Rajesh refuses to even consider the matter, it's possible that the man may just give in.

'Do you really think I would Prem?' the man asks, giving his nephew an incredulous look. Prem simply shrugs, not wanting to voice his thoughts on the matter from fear of seeing disrespectful.