Taxes to pay, no time to do it

The days went by fast, we were two days shy of another tax collection and I was loving it. I sat on a branch, probably the one Ben had fallen off, looking out of the trees towards the mountains. I've always dreamt of leaving the forest and exploring other kingdoms, to see what the King had destroyed. When I first realised what I was, I had thought of what would happen if I had gone up against the King or even tried to find others like me, surely there are more Warrior Bloods.. right? I mean, I can't be the only one to survive...

I jumped at the sound of horses hooves banging along the forest path, I looked back to see a group of four horses and a carriage. I couldn't see the emblem so I couldn't tell if it was the king or not. The horses stopped on the path, a man with a blue sash jumped off and walked to the base of the tree I was sitting on.

"You up there! Which way to the market place?"

"You went past it, it's another six kilometres back, turning left at the fork in the road."

He nodded, "Much obliged."

He retreated back to his horse as I climbed down from my perch, "Excuse me, I could show you where, I need to head back anyway."

"That would be helpful, thank you." He climbed onto his horse and offered me a hand, I took it, pulling myself up onto the back of the horse.

"Head back along the path, six kilometres and left at the fork." He commanded the other men, the carriage had to go to the end of the so it could turn around. We headed back at slow trot, I was so curious about who was in the carriage but I didn't want to ask.

We came to the fork, I held my arm out pointing to the left, "Right there."

The nodded and turned to the left, it wasn't long before the noises of children playing and adults making deals reached my ears, "there's a stable just there, near the medical tent."

We reached the stable boy and I jumped off, brushing myself off.

"Thank you for kindness." He said. I nodded, "Anytime, it's not every day you meet someone with such good manners."

He chuckled and smiled, his stubbly face softened. He hopped off his horse, telling his men to tie the horses and rest. He turned back to me, "Could I ask of your assistance once more? For food and supplies?"

"Of course, Cassandra has care packages back at the stall, I'll take you there."

"Thank you."

He followed me as I made my to the stall, Daniel was carrying a small box with Ben on crutches behind him.

"Cora! Where did you go? We wanted you to show us how you caught the mocking bird." Yelled Daniel when he saw me. I smiled, "I went for a stroll."

I ruffled his hair as Ben caught up, "And how are you master Ben? Haven't been misbehaving lately?"

He shook his head, his eyes downcast, "No, Cornelius said I have to be on crutches for at least ten weeks."

"Hey ten weeks go by fast, soon you'll be climbing trees with railings." I emphasised the word so he would remember not to past safety boundaries, he nodded still not happy. I kneeled down, bringing myself eye level with him, "Hey, I'm on my way to Cassandra's, how about I pick up some strawberries for you."

I winked at him as his face lit up, I smiled, "Keep your chin up, things will be back to normal sooner than you know."

Ben followed his brother back to their mother with a smile on his face. I continued my way to Cassandra.

"You seem close to them."

I jumped, "Damn, I forgot you were there. Yeah, I've known them since they were born. They're like my little brothers."

"Are you as close to your parents?"

I felt body tense, "I don't have any. They died when I was young, in a raid."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be, Cassandra raised me. Everyone here, they are my family. Cassandra taught me about the fruits and roots that grow here, what's good to eat and what's poisonous. Cornelius taught me herbal remedies, how to care for injuries. Those boys, their mother taught me how to make clothes. Jared, the man in the stall at the end? He taught me how to hunt. Everyone here taught me something, everyone here is my family. I only hope that one day I can return the favour."

We reached Cassandra's stall before he could reply, "Cassandra? This man would like some packages. Perhaps some of everything?"

Cassandra smiled her bright smile, "of course. May I ask were you're from?"

"Asiathia. "

"Oh? Where are you travelling to?"

"Our plan was to come here and re supply, our new plan isn't quite sorted out yet."

Cassandra began piling packages full of fruit, clothes and medical supplies. I heard a bell ring through the market place, I looked around shocked, Cassandra froze. The man looked around, "What does that mean?"

"The King." I said.

"He's come early, I can't pay the tax." Cassandra's hands shook, unable to process what she could do.

"Cassandra calm down, no one can pay the tax, not this early in the week."

"Then why would he be here? He has no reason to be here."

"Cassandra please calm yourself, I'll go check what's happening ok?"

She nodded slowly, I looked over to the man, "Could you keep an eye on her? Just keep her busy."

He nodded, "Of course."

I left the stall and headed towards the stable, everyone hurrying to their stalls, worried about what would happen to them if they can't pay the tax. The kings carriage occupied a section of the stables, the man himself stepped out. Hatred bubbled within me but I tried to push it down. I approached the carriage and bowed my head, "Your highness, you're early this week. What brings you?"

"Why taxes my dear."

I couldn't help but raise my head slightly, "Taxes? I'm sorry sir but I believe that we don't have to pay till the end of the week."

He chuckled, "Not anymore, there will be two collections a week."

"Excuse me? We can't afford two payments a week. We rely on travellers and there is not as many as there use to be."

"That is not my concern."

The guards stormed pass me, demanding payments from the stall holders.