It's in my blood

I ran back to Cassandra's stall, I dug the box out of the ground counting the money.

"Damn! We're short!"

"What wrong?" The man asked

"They're making two tax collections a week now. We can't keep up with that."

The man pulled out his money pouch and tipped the golden coins into the money box, it was more than enough for this collection.

"We can't take this."

"Consider a thanks for showing me the way here and the supplies."

I nodded as a guard arrived demanding the payment, I gave him the amount and he continued on his way.

"Thank you so much." Said Cassandra, the man nodded, collecting the supplies. I grabbed some packages and followed him back to the stables. We handed his men the packages, thank you's followed the actions. I turned the man with the blue sash, "May I ask what your name is?"

"Patrick."

I nodded, "Good luck with your journey, Patrick."

"Thank you, I'm sure I'll see you again, Cora."

I was about to say my goodbyes when I heard a scream erupt behind me, I turned to see the twins mother being dragged away from her stall, I ran over to the guard, "What are you doing?!"

"She can't pay the tax."

"It's the middle of the week, barely any of us have enough money!"

"Doesn't matter, it's the law."

He dragged her to the stables, dumping her at the kings feet. Ben and Daniel collapsed next to her, holding her tightly, tears pouring down their faces.

"Please don't, I have to look after my boys, they don't have a father."

"My dear, it's the law." Replied the king with a sickly grin, a guard unsheathing his blade. The boys sobs grew louder as they refused to leave their mother, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Wait! Please! I can give something better than her!"

"And what that?" Asked the king. I heard Cassandra yell, "Cora! Don't do anything stupid!"

I took another look at the boys, I didn't want them to feel what I felt when I lost my parents. I looked the king in the eye, taking in his scarred face, "Me."

"And what's so good about you my dear?"

"I'm a warrior blood."

The evil grin disappeared from his face, a shadow replaced it.

"You lie."

I shook my head, "No, I'm the warrior blood who hid in plain sight. Hiding from these people, hiding from you."

"How is it they didn't know? They would have noticed when you're lineage activated."

"It happened not long after you killed my parents. They thought it was grief. I was still a child after all."

"Why would you hide from them?"

"Why would I tell them? They could've told you. They could've killed me. My main aim was to survive."

"Then why give yourself up now? Honestly I'm not convinced of what you are."

"Because it's my function to protect these people. If you don't believe me, I could show you."

He chuckled, "I don't believe you. Kill the mother."

The guard raised his sword above his head, ready to kill her and the twins. I unsheathed the nearest guards sword, blocking the executioners strike with a speed I wasn't use to. I kicked him in the gut, giving myself the opportunity to knock the sword from his grasp and catching it in my other hand, I spun and kicked him square in the chest, knocking him on his back. I turned upon hearing the clanking of chain mail behind me, catching the guards sword in a 'v' with my own. I kicked him in the gut, forcing him backwards in time for me to bend down and avoid a swinging blade, I righted myself kicking him in the back sending him onto the previous guard.

"Enough!" The kings demanding voice echoed through the market place, I still stood ready, swords in hand, barely out of breath. The guards struggled to their feet, trying to pick up their swords. The king clapped, "I'm impressed. I thought I killed all of your kind."

"Obviously not."

"Hm, my son was here. Why didn't kill him? After all I've killed your kind, your parents, why not take my son?"

"Why would I? It's you I want dead."

He chuckled, "You remind me of a warrior blood my grandfather told me about. Great man, he fought till the bloody end. What are you going to do?"

"We'll soon find out."

"Hmm.." The King looked at me with intense eyes, I couldn't tell if he was thinking or trying to unnerve me, either way I didn't like it. The guards finally righted themselves, limping toward sat he king and I, trying to get a firm grip on their weapons. Patrick stood behind the king and his guards, his hand on the hilt of his sword. I tried to tell him no but I couldn't without he kings eyes spotting the signal.

"You may be of some use to me."

"How so?"

"Well, you've seen the skills of these pathetic men. You would be a much more sufficient guard for me."

I couldn't hold back a laugh, "Are you serious? You've been killing my kind since before I was born. I watched you and your men burn my parents in their house. And you have the nerve to tell me that you want me as your personal guard? I should slice your head from your shoulders right now."

The King's smile left his face, his scar made his face look stern, which I imagined was useful when he was intimidating an enemy.

"I will not give you this chance again."

"Good, I'd hate to refuse you twice."

His jaw tightened, "Since I can't take you in unwillingly - because I have weaklings for guards - I will give you one final choice. Turn yourself in willingly and accompany me to my residence, or watch these people die."

I froze, did he just call my bluff? Can he tell that I'm lying? Or is he bluffing? Either way, I couldn't take the chance. I looked back at the twins, their tear stained faces pressed close to their mother's chest. I looked at the King, trying not look defeated.

"As much as I would love to watch these people to defend themselves, it's against my nature. Besides, you need them for money."

His mouth shaped itself into a small smile, "Very well. Put down your weapon and allow the Captain to bind you."

I did as he said, keeping my eyes on Patrick whose hand was still rested on his hilt. I followed the King to his carriage, I could still hear the twins crying. Cornelius was still at his stall, shock on his face as he registered the fact that I was in fact a Warrior blood and the fact that my father was too. Cornelius and my father knew each other since they were boys, I guess he felt a sense of betrayal to realise that he wasn't trusted with my families most life threatening secret. I was shocked to see that the King had allowed me to sit in the carriage, not that I wanted to be confined in such a small space with a man that I had imagined killing since my parents had died. I looked back at Cassandra, her hand covered her mouth as tears of disbelief ran down her face, the girl she had sworn to protect from the King had just surrendered herself to him. I turned away when I felt tears began to form in my eyes, I reluctantly stepped into the carriage, preparing for a long and agonising journey with the man who's throat wanted to cut. My murderous thoughts were put on hold when I spotted another individual in the carriage, I sat opposite him and realised that it was the Prince. Shit. Like this day couldn't get any worse. The King turned to the villagers before advancing into the carriage, "Today we will not collect any taxes, we will continue this tomorrow."

"What?!"

"I never said I'd stop the second collection of taxes."

I dove from my seat and tackled the King to the ground, I wrapped my hands around his neck and squeezed as hard as I could, making his face turn red before I felt a sharp pain in the back of my skull, I heard Cassandra scream before I blacked out.