A Halloween Spook

The sweaty teenagers dancing around in costumes made the air feel suffocating

After many hours at the party I was starting to feel light headed and dizzy. I made an inconspicuous escape from the numerous bodies that were dancing along with the rhythm of the music that was blaring out of the large speakers drilled a headache into my head.

I found my way up the stairs and stumbled down the hallway towards a bedroom door. I felt drawn to it, I was being pulled towards it like my hand was a magnet to the door knob.

The closer I got the louder I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. My fingers wrapped around the cold metal knob, it was ice against the warm skin of my palm. The creaking sound the door made was so clear, I could hear it over the music and loud laughter of the people downstairs.

I stepped into the dark mysterious room and turned on the light. It was a simple room with a small bed and two dressers. I stepped further into the small room and slowly began to shut the door behind me.

The door clicked shut and it went silent, I could no longer hear the music that was playing, nor could I hear a single drunken teenager trying to shout in order to be heard.

I twisted the knob and slightly opened the door again ,the music flooded back into the room like it was never gone. I closed the door again, and the music stopped once again.

My eyebrows knit together as I examined the door and ran my fingers down the frame of it. I froze when the silence was replaced with low whispering sounds. I looked around and my eyes stayed trained on the door of the closet that I hadn't noticed before.

The more I stared at the small white door the more I was frightened, the more I was confused, the more I was curious, the more I was overwhelmed.

I could feel my heart pounding against my chest, trying to burst through my rib cage. Without realizing it, I was slowly getting closer to the door. The whispers were getting louder and louder with each weary step I took closer. My hand reached for the handle on the closet, my hand wasn't even touching it and I could feel heat radiating off of it.

I pulled my hand away, just before I touched the handle, and shook it out. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath preparing myself to try again. I wiped my sweaty hands off on the leggings of my costume, and went for it.

I grabbed the handle only to instantaneously pull it away again.

I cradled my hand close to my chest and hissed in pain, the handle burned my skin like it was a hot oven top that had just been used. I opened my hand and looked at the blistering red skin burned onto my hand.

I was no longer interested in the door or what lied behind it. I whirled around, ready to run as far away as possible. As soon as I turned around I momentarily stopped breathing.

A large figure with a cloth draped over it stood before me. The sheet like cloth that covered the figure was soaked in a red substance, I assumed was blood. It took a step forward just before I let out an ear piercing scream.

A part of me thought it were some stupid teenager playing a prank, but something else told me to get the hell away and never look back.

I stumbled back and burned my arm on the searing handle of the closet door behind me. I noticed that the whispers were no longer coming from the closet but from the strange blood drenched thing in front of me.

It was getting closer to me and I didnt know what to do, I was frozen in place. I realised that the second time the handle burned me it was considerably less hot than the first time. Panicking with no other choice, I grabbed the handle, threw open the door and hurried myself inside. I slammed the door shut behind me with a loud thud. Darkness, all I could see was darkness. It was silent and nothing was happening. I wanted to reach for the handle again to open the door and see if it were gone.

But...

I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, I couldn't even think. I was helpless.

Everything felt so distant, like reality was gone.

The next thing I knew I sat up quickly and screamed with all of the air in my lungs. I was back at home, in my bedroom.

My eyes hurriedly scanned my surroundings, a million and one questions were going through my mind. Was it all just a dream?

And then I remembered the burn on my hand from the closet door. I brought my hand in front of my face only to find it completely normal. I flipped it back and forth making sure i weren't going crazy, and the burns were in fact gone.

I took a deep breath and plopped back onto the soft pillow on my bed. It was a dream? It couldn't have been. It felt so real. I turned on my side and rubbed my hand along the back of my arm. I jerked my hand away when a fiery tingle shot through my skin where the burn had been on the back of my arm.

So, it was real...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

BOO!

Did I scare you?