20 - Before Dawn

The worst of winter passed, and the days grew warmer, though not as warm as they should.

Ayessa spent most of her time speaking with Taboua and Obu, or by the fire, with the clan. She did not sit where her father had sat; the wounds caused by his death still to raw. Instead, she walked amongst the people, sitting each night with a different man or woman.

As the cold abated, hope sprang in the hearts of the clan and Ayessa once again heard laughter among the tents. She did not join them though, her joy buried under a pile of rocks by the frost covered hills her people were named for. Instead she spent her nights in restless sleep, worrying about too many things.

And Makaro. She worried most about him.

She longed for him to return, though she did not know how she felt about him now. His betrayal had burned something in her, turned it to dust, but her thoughts still drifted towards him in the quiet hours between waking and sleep. She missed him.

She sighed and rolled out of her blankets, letting the cool air of pre-dawn embrace her skin. The weather was warm enough for snow to melt, and as she slipped out of the tent she had to avoid large puddles of water as she walked. She wasn't averse to getting wet, but she wanted to be the one to choose when.

She rarely had a moment when Obu or someone else wasn't pressing her for her attention, and she wanted to take advantage of the time presented to her now.

Slipping past the last row of tents, she skirted the sentries and made her way towards the creek that hugged the southernmost edges of their tract.

In this spot, the water pooled along a broad curve and she could wade shoulder deep. Stripping off her clothes, she slipped in, the water cold enough to make her gasp. It was a welcome shock, one that brought back memories of previous springs, when she and Oyeka would dare each other to see who could stay in the longest.

She dipped her head under water, allowing the icy water to jolt her mind awake. Coming up, she made to dip under again, but a soft sound along the edge of the woods gave her pause. Reaching the edge of the creek, she climbed out and grabbed for her spear, not bothering to clothe herself first. Staying alive had far greater value to her than modesty.

She did not know who was more surprised when Eshemwa exited the woods, her or him. His eyes flickered down her dripping length before resolutely turning away and facing back towards the woods.

"Obu is looking for you," he said to the trees before him.

She sighed. So much for her quiet morning.

"What does he need?" she asked.

"Strangers have been spotted approaching the camp," he replied. He cast a quick glance over his shoulder then turned back again. "Perhaps you would like to dress?"

She bent to retrieve her clothing. "The blue-eyed men?"

"No, men from the other clans I think."

She tugged her furs on while she thought.

"Have we approached them?" she asked, coming around to face him.

"Not yet," he replied.

The morning was still dark and it hid his expression, but she could feel his eyes on her.

Slinging her spear across her back, she turned from him and headed back towards the camp. After a moment he followed.

They found Obu just North off the camp, on a small ridge above the valley floor. He was watching as a group approached from the distance.

"What do you think?" she asked him.

"I think we should go greet them," he said.

Ayessa slipped her spear over her head and handed it to Joveke. Her knife she gave to Obu. She would approach unarmed as her father had always done.

"Be careful," Eshemwa said.

She nodded and made her way down the slope towards the strangers.

The party halted, and one man broke off continueing towards her. He held his arms wide, and she returned the gesture.

"Greetings, friend," he called out as he came within hailing distance. "I am Yuro of the Small Water Clan."

"Greetings to you as well, friend Yuro," she returned. "I am Ayessa of the Frost Hill Clan."

"Oyeka has sent me to speak with Atua," Yuro said.

Ayessa pushed back a pang of grief. "Atua has left this world to camp with the Gods of all things."

"Ah," Yuro said, "it saddens me to hear it. I met him once. He was a good man. Do you lead your people now?"

"In my brother's absence," Ayessa replied. "Oyeka still travels among the clans. Please, come, you and your men are welcome among our fires."

The man hesitated before speaking again. "Forgive me, friend, but your brother said I should bring as many of my people as I could."

Ayessa frowned. "Of course. The more the better. Did you bring more men than this?"

"I brought my whole clan," he replied simply.

Ayessa's eyebrows rose sharply at that. The whole clan?

He caught her surprise and grinned. "Fear not. We have brought food as gift of hospitality." His smile faded, and he leaned in towards her. "We have met the blue-eyed men and know we can not match them. Our scouts traveled north to find their camp. They are hundreds strong. More than any one clan I have ever seen. We will need many clans to turn them back."

"Do you know why they have come to take our land and our herds?" Ayessa asked.

"The winters have been hard here, but even harder in the north. They say walls of ice are coming down to eat their lands. They believe they must take ours or starve."

"Could we not share?" Ayessa asked.

Yuro raised one brow. "How was your winter?"

Ayessa sighed. There was nothing for it then. They would have to go to war.