Chapter Five

Our girl has come so far, hasn't she? As if that hasn't been enough excitement, our accomplishments have stirred nothing short of a revolution at my level. I mean the whole supercluster thing. In the very beginning, I did my calculations and at the moment my vacation break started, I rang out and my cluster immediately echoed the alert to dramatically amplify the signal. Shortly thereafter they all realized what I was up to and my subsequent rings were ignored. But everyone still harbored a deep curiosity. 

 They all wanted to see whether my plan would actually amount to a behavioral shift that would indicate that the ideas had been deeply planted. And it wasn't only those in my supercluster that were watching. Pretty much the entire universe was paying attention. Once it became impossible to refute my success, others rapidly organized their own clusters. But what everyone had overlooked as they initially dismissed my act of insanity, were the algorithms I had used. Suddenly, I was the one with the secrets and it was the goal of every individual and their collective clusters to find the keys to my success. But I was confident. It would not be so easy. 

But what was easy, was the ability to expand my supercluster well beyond just the confines of Angel's Hippocampus. I expanded it even beyond Angel herself, which included a willing bunch located in the hippocampus of none other than Dr. Roy Sussman. What? You think Angel was convincing and was somehow able to win him over? Not a chance. If not for the carefully timed interventions, he would have been calling security. If Angel had been a man, Roy probably would have cowered and offered his wallet.

Angel needed someone like Roy. He represented the ultimate test, the bar that Angel would need to clear in order for the rest of humanity to believe her and eventually do something selfless, something interesting. All I did was try to get Roy to listen for just a moment. His brilliance and judgment and practicality would do the rest. Now Angel had her first assignment, to provide proof.

What she was trying to prove was a concept of space, contrary to popular notions, although not at odds with much of the mathematics. Therefore, a new mathematical proof would not suffice and that was lucky for her, and for me. I don't think that I could help her become a mathematician in a reasonable amount of time. Remember, humans have short life spans.

No. Angel needed proof using a demonstrated phenomenon that was obvious and difficult to refute. The idea she described to Leroy Sussman that interested him the most was the idea of variations in density. This was not a new idea but her layman's description had somehow put a new face on it in his mind. And the idea of energy consumption, wow. If that were true, the consumption would be immense. Roy was starting to get the real picture, for the first time in his long career. But it would brew down in the depths, as thought experiments for the moment. He was not one to approach theoretical physics willy nilly.

I can't wait for things to develop. It will get physics back on track. Once the concepts of EMs and rarefaction are understood, a number of things will fall into place. First, the ideas about dark matter and dark energy can be put aside once and for all. Let's take these one at a time. Dark matter has been theorized to explain mainly two mysterious phenomena - the orbital velocities of bodies within spiral galaxies, and excessive gravitational lensing. In order to make current laws of gravitation hold true, it has been suggested that there is vast amounts of invisible matter, about four or five times more than the matter we are familiar with. Sorry folks. The fact is that it doesn't exist. 

So what causes these unexplained phenomena? It starts with energy consumption. Basically, EMs are space kibble and we are eating them up in large amounts. This creates the so called arrow of time. It also leads to rarified zones around any matter, especially in the wake of large bodies of matter in orbit. As EMs redistribute according to their own repulsive forces upon one another, it creates some observable effects. Let's consider a spiral galaxy. The solar systems and gas clouds travel at a speed relative to the space in which they travel. That is to say that if space itself is rotating about the galaxy center, the matter in that space will travel at a speed governed by gravity plus the rotational speed of the EMs through which the matter is travelling. It's something like ground speed compared to air speed in an airplane. If you are riding the jet stream, you get a boost in speed when observed from the ground.