✮ Chapter 3

❸

Candice's POV

"Hey Glenda!" I called out to the blond girl. We were classmates since kindergarten. I was happy seeing someone I knew from my old school.

Most of my classmates stayed in Adamson's. They said it was more practical to just stay in their Alma matter rather than enrol in different school. My only best friend, Kate, migrated to Alaska. I didn't have many friends. Besides Kate and Drake, I never trusted anyone enough to hang out with them.

Imagine the joy I felt when I saw Glenda. I knew from then that I didn't need to associate more with Becca. Because Becca was a softie. Weak. Delicate. I never liked someone like that. It felt like I had the responsibility to fight for her whenever she would cry in the tiniest matter. 

But Glenda just nodded curtly, not smiling back. She then instantly looked away and continued chatting with her new found friends near the pantry.

Was karma hitting me that hard? Pffftt. Glenda thinks she's popular now.

Annoyed, I circled the canteen, looking for Drake. He wasn't hard to spot. Even with his back, I could easily identify him. I strode towards him giddily. He was eating his lunch together with his friends.

He had pineapple glazed turkey ham and nachos grande with tortilla chips on his plate. He was sipping his iced tea when I neared them.

"Hey, you," I kicked the James' foot, trying to get his attention. A spoonful of salad was inside his mouth and he swallowed it instantly when he recognized me. His eyes widened in surprise.

"Move."

"No, stay there James," Drake interrupted. "Cee, you can't sit here," he continued, almost whispering.

"Why not?" I blurted out.

"Because, as you can see, we're all boys here," he firmly stated. He looked at me briefly and glanced to his right, cautious that other students might hear him.

"Soooo?" I asked him queerly. But then soon realized that he was with his group of friends from swimming club, occupying the entire table.

"Yeah, that's right! Tell your sister not to mess up with the Blue Hawks." I heard a chuckle from one of his friends. It echoed through the holes of my ears. 'Sister.'

"Shut up! I'm not talking to you. And I'm not his sister!"

"Woah! A feisty little mouse," he said amusingly. He winked at me and shoved some fries into his gaping mouth. He was a lot taller and older than Drake. He looked like he was graduating, but I was undaunted.

"If I'm a mouse, then what are you? A fly?"

"Enough of this Candice." I could see Drake's muscles tensed. His eyes were already telling me that his ability for patience and emotional generosity was almost reaching its limit.

The flash of annoyance blinded me and I was already summing up a bad idea, but then I reminded myself that Drake was there. He was one of the many reasons of my irritation. And he couldn't be a reason.

In that moment, I funneled all my strength into my feet and used it to just walk away. My mouth shut. If I speak in anger, I would be going home more regretful.

"Candice, here!" a familiar voice called out.

It was Becca. She was sitting in the nearby table, waving her hand. There were other students sharing the table but judging by the looks of them, they didn't know Becca and they didn't care about her.

I sat in front of her with now lost appetite. I thought it would be better if I would stick my arse around Becca for a while. It was just the first day of school anyway. I still had a lot of time to find new friends.

I swallowed my anger. It tasted like a spicy cinnamon and it grew in my throat. It wanted to get out, like a flaming dragon's breath. My eyes were screaming, wanting everyone to be burnt into ash. I reached for Becca's unopened bottled water and drunk from it, trying to calm myself. Coincidentally, she did not protest. She was more than happy to share it.

"What do you have for lunch?" she asked curiously, staring at my lunch box with cheerful eyes.

"Sandwich and some granola bars. Here. Try this. My mom made sure it has cucumber," I replied. I snappishly split my sandwich into two and gave Becca half of it. Her plate was already full; spaghetti, fried chicken leg and table banana. But I was just in too foul mood to be munching on foods.

"Packed lunch?" asked the girl wearing bright pink tank top. She must've had overheard us talking when her group of friends was passing by.

"What are you, a six year old?" she continued. With her evil smile spreading across her face, she stood straighter a bit more, and pushed her chest out.

She was trying to intimidate me.

And then I recognized her. She was one of the girls Glenda was talking with. Glenda was standing behind her. She looked unsure, but she squared her shoulders, showing off to her friends.

I sat my palms down flat on the table, the lunch box in between. Then I got up very slowly. I smoothed down my skirt then crossed my arms over my chest and said, "Maybe your mom doesn't know how to make a sandwich that's why you never bring a packed lunch."

As my voice rung effortlessly in the canteen, everyone turned to look at me. Some students looked confused on what the hullabaloo was about, but most of them looked thrilled.

"We have house maids," she coolly said, boasting, obviously.

"Exactly my point." I rolled my eyes and then I gave her a disgruntled look.

"Why, you little-"

I raised my hand, palm facing her, "And puh-lease, floss your teeth. Girl, I swear I know what you just ate."

All my rage came out faster than magma.

I raised both of my hands, holding an invisible floss between my thumbs and index fingers, and slide it up gently up-and-down between my teeth.

A breath was caught in her throat. She was mortified, frozen on her spot. She stood melting in the cruel laughter. She radiated heat like a hot pan. She shriveled before me but I kept on going, doing far more damage with words.

"Don't bark up the wrong tree. Especially if there's a spinach in the middle of your teeth. And what about you, Glenda?" I turned my head, smiling at her. Challenging her.

I could see her knuckles turned white; she was clenching her fists too hard. She was gritting her teeth from effort to remain silent and her face was red with suppressed anger.

"Come on, Michelle."

Glenda tapped her shoulder. Michelle was unresponsive, still traumatized to what just happened. Glenda didn't waste another shameful second and she grabbed Michelle's arm, walking fast, away from the crowd. The two of them was followed by another girl, but she was bowing her head, avoiding my stare.

I threw my head back and laughed, "Smart move. Shooo! Be gone. Unless you want them to know how your armpit stinks like a seven day old sock."

The students burst out laughing and I smirked victoriously. I caught a glimpse of Drake; he was shaking his head and turned his head away from my direction.

I sat down with all the energy overriding me. My appetite suddenly came back. I reached for my sandwich. If only I could open my mouth any wider then I would've had eaten it with one bite.

"Candice..." Becca was still staring at me, her mouth slightly opened.

"Hmmn? Uhmn-hmmnn," I mumbled as I chomped down my sandwich and granolas.   

"You're wicked."

❤❤❤