Chapter Three

The moment Queen Hippolyta had awoken; she felt a different energy upon the island. She couldn’t pin point it, the feeling like an answer on the tip of your tongue, there, but far out of reach. It was a familiar feeling, but had a more sinister feel. No matter how hard she tried, she could not fathom what it was or even where the energy she felt was coming from.

I’ll be sure to stay aware of this strangeness.

            That thought in mind, she found herself more alert than she’d ever been, and decided to help prepare breakfast so the Amazons could hurry and start training.

            After breakfast, Princess Diana had the Amazons head directly to the training grounds, feeling all of their eyes on her back. She was confident in them and her abilities to make them fiercer than they already were. She was excited to get started, overjoyed that she had the honor to teach them everything she knew.

“SILENCE!” The Princess boomed.                                                       

            The Amazons ceased all conversations, ready to take orders and get started.

“Has anyone seen Petrina?” Princess Diana asked, not realizing she was missing until now.

“Here I am.” Petrina declared, walking into the training ground, her face didn’t hold any emotion.

Princess Diana decided to let her tardiness go without consequence, deciding yesterday had caused her sister enough embarrassment.

“Petrina, you are to stand at my side. I’ve decided that you’ll be my apprentice, you’ll help me train our sisters and I will train you separately.” Diana explained to her sister.

“Thank you, I am truly grateful. I ask that you and my Queen forgive me yesterday for my disrespect. I will be sure to keep my anger and mouth in check, it will never happen again.” Petrina said; head down in submission.

“You are forgiven Petrina, we are sisters, there are things we will disagree on and we will have arguments. That does not mean that I will ever hate you.” Diana said happily, grabbing Petrina to embrace her.

            Petrina embraced the Princess back, trying her best not to push her away. She still felt wronged, jealous, and angry with her sister; hating having to be trained by her as if she were dense and couldn’t keep up with the group. Being her apprentice meant nothing to Petrina, it was, in her eyes, no lower than being one of the smelly animals the Princess surrounded herself with.

The embrace was over as quickly as it started; Princess Diana was ready to get to work.

“Okay Amazons, it is time to work on your basic hand to hand combat, Petrina I’d like for you to demonstrate. Punch me.” Diana ordered.

            Petrina threw a mighty punch at her Princess, expecting it to hit and leave her with a broken nose. Diana knew Petrina wouldn’t hold back so she quickly dodged the attack and grabbed Petrina by the wrist with her left hand, spun her around, and put her in a choke hold.

“Lesson one, don’t go for the obvious attack. If it is the easiest attack you have in mind, your opponent will expect it coming.” Diana explained, releasing a seething Petrina.

            As the day went on, the Amazons learned fairly quickly they were already warriors, the Princess was only making them stronger, and more aware when in a hand to hand fight. Everyone was taking the training well, confident that their Princess had only good intentions. However, like the one rotten apple of the bunch, Petrina harbored even more hatred for the Princess, hating every minute of the training. The Princess always used her as an example, always asking her to punch her. Time after time Petrina attempted to get a hit in, each time failing, becoming even more humiliated as Diana explained to her and everyone else what she did wrong.

“Okay everyone, we’re finished.” Princess Diana announced.

Everyone went to go do their daily activities, Petrina filing behind them, elated to be done with training for the day.

 “Petrina, you stay.” Diana commanded softly.

Petrina swallowed the angry response threatening to leave her mouth and slowly turned around and walked back to stand a few feet away from the Princess.

“We haven’t begun your training yet sister.” Diana said humor in her eyes.

Petrina let out a fake laugh “I’m sorry, my body feels like we have.”

            They began by repeating all the training that was done earlier as a group, except Diana was harder on Petrina. Repeatedly, taking on offense and attacking her, not to the point of causing extreme harm, but just enough for Petrina to start to lose her composure. When it was Petrina’s turn to take on offense, her anger started to get the best of her causing her to get sloppy. Princess Diana grabbed Petrina by the shoulders, asking her why she was so angry.

“I am not angry, more so frustrated that I know I’ll never be able to land a hit on you. This is pointless; I will never be as good as you Diana.” Petrina cried, through angry tears, half lying, and half telling the truth.

“Petrina, you have to stop thinking that way. It is not that I am trying to make you as good as me. I am trying to make you be the best you can be. I want you to be at your peak of strength, and endurance in combat.” Diana explained, sympathizing with her sister.

Petrina hugged her sister, telling her how thankful she was and how much she appreciated her sister all the while keeping the fake smile plastered on her face.

“Thank you Princess, I truly understand now. I will be sure to never doubt you again. I look forward to our next session and will put forth all my effort.” Petrina said.

“It is my pleasure Petrina, let us go and eat now, I am starving!” Diana exclaimed grabbing her sister’s hand.

Petrina followed only happy to begin getting stronger, for that she was truly grateful.

In the Underworld, the realm of the Dark Gods, trouble was brewing.

“The time is getting closer; I cannot wait to wreak havoc.” Ares stated head swimming with thoughts of battle and blood.

“Patience nephew, we must be patient so everything can go as planned. I know certain Gods on Olympus will interfere. I do not wish to deal with my brother again so soon, Zeus and I are on somewhat neutral terms, so we must wait until the time is right to avoid war with the Olympians.” Hades explained.

Ares replied with a laugh, “Uncle, you forget that I am the God of war, saying that only provokes me. However, I do understand. The last battle was rather nasty.” He finished with a grimace.

“Exactly my point, everything must go perfectly. Tiny steps until the big finale.” Hades said smiling cruelly.