Chapter 6

Here's another reason why college is superior to high school: no class on Fridays. Of course, there are a few select classes that meet on Fridays, but that's entirely your choice when you register at the beginning of the semester. Besides, if you could have a three-day weekend every week, why wouldn't you?

I guess it's not truly a weekend for me since I work on Saturdays and Sundays, but at least I've still got my Fridays. The weather is cloudy but warm on this Friday afternoon. Effy and I are a few blocks from our apartment, sitting in the outdoor dining area of a Mediterranean restaurant.

"Wow," Effy says after I summarize my internship conversation with Montrose. "You're going to go for it, aren't you?"

"I don't know..." I say.

"What do you mean you don't know? Jules, are you daft?! That's an amazing opportunity for you."

"I know, but---"

"And isn't that what you've always wanted?"

"Yeah, but... I don't know, it's so soon. I'm afraid of how my parents will take it."

Her expression softens. "What do you mean?"

"I think they thought I was coming here just to study and move back home right after," I explain. "I don't think they anticipated me living here. Like, for good."

She's quiet for a moment, then sits back and crosses her arms. "Let me ask you this, do you want to live here? For good?"

The answer comes in an instant but I pause before replying, "Yeah."

Effy's hazel eyes sparkle. "There it is," she says, pointing at me. "That's how I know you should go for it."

I'm suddenly aware of the overly-wide smile plastered across my face.

When our plates arrive, I know the conversation is over. Once Effy starts eating, there's no point in trying to talk to her.

"What are your plans tonight?" Effy asks as we walk home.

"Nothing," I reply, "probably work on some projects or study."

"Oh, Jules. Always working, even on your day off," she sighs.

"You're the one that says I should go for that internship," I remind her. "Don't you think I should start polishing my portfolio?

She flashes me an innocent smile. "Absolutely. Just not tonight."

"I don't like where this is headed," I say.

"Hear me out. Remember that fellow I met last week? The one that came home with me?"

"Shirtless guy?"

"I'm sorry?"