Chapter 15

I'm back in Design Principles 102, tracing and cutting spirals for my project. Pressing my Exacto blade firmly against the thick Artagain paper, I precisely follow the curve that I sketched with my pencil. My phone buzzes and I quickly finish the incision to fish it out of my pocket, seeing a text from Harry.

I'm hungry and I'm out of food. Come squirrel hunting with me?

Laughing quietly, I type back the words, I'm in class.

He replies, How about after?

I tell him, It's two hours long. Don't wait up for me.

To my relief, he stops responding after that. I don't want him to starve while he waits for me. I resume with my work and a moment later, Montrose approaches my desk to check on my decision on the internship.

"I'm applying for it," I proudly inform him.

"Excellent!" he says with a broad smile. "Have you sent your application?"

"Not yet. I'm still sorting out the pieces to include in my portfolio."

"Oh, they've put a limit on it now? I suppose they grew tired of sifting through a hundred pages from just one applicant," he chuckles, staring past me in thought. "Well, if you need a second pair of eyes to run it by, I'd be happy to help."

I thank him for his offer and again for the referral. He proceeds to float around the classroom, watching his students hard at work. Pulling out my phone again, I switch the ringer to silent, determined to concentrate on my project free from distraction. This choice pays off because by the end of the class session, I've finished both the assignment and the writing portion to go along with it.

Outside, the weather is bitterly cold. Autumn is coming to a close and winter looms right around the corner. I pull my beanie over my ears and make my way across campus, realizing how truly beautiful this school is and how seldom I stop to appreciate it.

Up ahead, I see a lustrous violet sculpture. From one angle, it resembles the lava from a lava lamp but when I pass it, it appears more like two people in a ballet pose.

An intricate mural on the side of the fine arts building catches my eye. It depicts the entire country of England. Each county is represented in iconic images that use all the major art styles such as cubism and impressionism. I can't even guess how long it took to complete because no part of the four-story surface is left bare.

Along the cobblestone walkway, skinny trees are wrapped in strands of white lights. It reminds me of the holiday season quickly approaching. I can almost smell the fresh pine and egg nog, and hear the jingling of holiday bells.

I'm startled from my daydream when I see a figure up ahead. He sits on a wire bench that looks like an A+ abstract art project, but appears to be extremely uncomfortable. He's staring up at the sky and doesn't notice me at first.

I gradually step closer. "Harry?"

He shifts his gaze to me and smiles. "Oh, hi."