Chapter 31

"I'll paint you a picture with words, 'I miss her'" - Neck Deep

• • • • •

When I get home later that evening, Effy is on the couch scraping ice cream from a carton while her boyfriend is strewn on the other couch. Ansel breaks from the TV screen for a fraction of a second to flash me a friendly smile. Effy rotates all the way around and says, "Hi, love."

"Hey. What's up with this?" I ask, making a sweeping gesture over them.

It's rare for the pair to be staying in on a Friday night. I'm used to coming home to an empty house because Effy was either bartending or barhopping with her boyfriend.

"I broke my leg," Ansel says, nodding to the stiff, plastered limb resting on the end of the couch.

"Oh, no. What happened?" I ask.

"I, erm, had a wee motorcycle accident," he slowly answers.

"Ansel tried jumping off a moving motorcycle onto another motorcycle," Effy says, rolling her eyes.

"You what?" I say, staring at him in disbelief.

He lifts his shoulders with a shrug in a what-can-ya-do response.

"But aren't you chief surgeon at the hospital?" I say.

He looks up at me, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Yes, but I certainly can't operate on myself."

That's not what I meant. I thought that someone who's passed years of medical school and earned all those promotions to get to the top of his occupation would be smarter than to jump off moving motorcycles.

But I skip out on verbalizing that thought. I dismiss myself and head to my room.

"Don't forget about your date tonight," Effy calls into the hallway.

"I know," I call in reply.

It's going to be the fifth or sixth date I've been on since I last saw Harry. At first I strictly refused to get involved with another guy again. But one night, Effy tricked me into a blind date, and I'll admit, it wasn't too terrible. She's been hell bent on getting me over Harry and just to get her off my back, I now agree to go on the occasional date with a stranger.

So far, none of them have caught my interest. It's not that there's something wrong with the guys themselves. No, they were all handsome, nice guys and were real gentlemen about everything.

But that was it, they were just nice. I didn't feel anything with them; no connection or chemistry. We never talked about anything interesting, only the weather and local news, because we never had anything in common. It always felt like I was hanging out with an acquaintance instead of on a date.

Tonight, I hope, would be different. I'm sick and tired of nursing this broken heart. It's been nine months, for crying out loud.