Submit

Sleep didn't come easily for me, thanks to the uncomfortable cot and my anxiety. I didn't know if I was grateful or scared when the sun finally began to peek underneath the flap to my tent.

A cold breeze ruffled the sides of my tent, slipping through the cracks to wash over me. A looming shadow stood in front of my tent, casting darkness over the flap.

"Lennet?" A voice called from outside, a male I didn't recognize. As quietly as I could, I sat up in my cot, readying myself just in case.

"Who is it?" I nervously replied, wanting to know who stood outside.

"Connoway," the male responded. "I'm your ah," he paused. "Guard." He didn't sound so sure of himself. Was I missing something? "I'm to escort you to the training grounds as soon as you're ready."

Damn, already? I hadn't even been here for a full day and I was to train with the pack. Something felt off about this. When I didn't respond, he continued. "I'll give you some time to get ready," he said before his shadow disappeared.

It took me a moment to get moving, but eventually I got up, dressing myself in simple clothes I wouldn't mind sweating in. If Alpha Blackford wanted me to prove myself, I'd be sure to do exactly that.

Lifting the tent flap up, I had to shield my eyes with my free hand from the sun, blaring down directly onto my face. Despite its warmth, it wasn't enough to negate the cold that had settled over the land.

My guard stood not far off from my tent, his attention snapping on me the moment I stepped out. He looked young, but certainly older than me. At my appearance, Connoway jogged over to my side. "Follow me," he commanded, leading me away from the safety of my tent.

It was evident I wouldn't be allowed to wander around without a guard by my side.

All of the packs from yesterday had cleared out, leaving only NightBlood's main pack. Despite being early in the morning, plenty of members were moving about. Only the males seemed to be out, either training or patrolling.

I made a mental note about these men. They all seemed to have tattoos that wrapped around their arms, some down their backs. All unique as well, and all in visible places. They wanted them to be seen.

Morning dew clung to the grass and weeds, wetting my bare feet. If given the chance, I'd always choose to go without shoes. Something about being able to feel the earth under my feet made me feel safer.

The trees were beginning to thin out, before widening out to make a large clearing. Pits of sand stood not far off, clumped together with the morning dampness. The air left my lips as I took in the sight of NightBlood.

Picturing NightBlood at the bottom of the hierarchy no longer made sense. It was impossible after seeing this. Hundreds of males were in the pits, sparring with each other as they trained.

Connoway's pace quickened, forcing me to practically jog to keep up with his long legs. He was probably eager to drop me off.

From the corner of my eye I spotted him. Standing in the sunlight, Blackford stood off to the side of the training pits, shirtless with the sun glinting off of his sweat.

As if he could feel me looking at him, he turned in my direction. From this distance I couldn't see the features of his face, and yet my body seemed to thrum to life under his attention.

Heat spread throughout my body, fighting off the chill. "Lennet," Connoway snapped, waving a hand in front of my face like I'd been caught in a trance. Shame burned in my cheeks. Mumbling an apology, I continued following him.