It's Tomorrow

I felt the cold air of the evening snow upon my already frozen cheeks. I watch as vapour forms when I exhale, allowing myself to be fascinated by its cloudy form. For a second, I let forget why I had exited the warmth of my home. And then, I remember, and stretch out my arms. The cold hit me in its full harshness, my under-protected body nearly frozen.

Kill me, cold wind.

Kill me, winter.

Kill me.

I sucked in air, as I removed my cardigan. I gasp as I freeze, before falling into the snow.

A flash of red.

And then, nothing.

I awake to the sound a crackling flame, and for a second, I wonder if I had died. But I heard no church bells, no singing choir. No sounds that told me of my death. I am alive, to my own dread. I sighed and rose from my bed, and then I paused.

I'm... At home. Alive.

I certainly did not move myself in my unconscious state. I could not have.

Someone had saved me. And I wonder who that someone was. I wish I knew. I really, wish I died. Why would anyone save me?

A stranger who was crazy enough to come by.

I sigh, standing up to go sit by the fire. And then I see a bottle of brandy on my table, and a shotglass.

"Drink up. Don't let yourself freeze to death Alix." Said the red words written on the label. I sigh.

"Whoever's doing this is an idiot." I said to myself, pouring myself a shot. Then, after my fourth shot, feeling slightly drunk, something hit me on the back of my head. I grabbed my head in pain, and then I looked down to see what was it that hit me. A folded-up note that had been taped to a pebble was found on the floor.

"I'm an idiot? Says the one who just tried to commit suicide by freezing to death. By the way, it isn't pleasant. Trust me, I tried."

I ran to my window to yell at the idiot who threw that stupid note at me, but I saw nothing except the swirling wind and snow. It was like a ghost had visited me, but there was no one there. Like always.

Is this where I introduce myself now? But would anyone take any notice? In this pine forest, would anyone take notice of a little log cabin? Perhaps they would, but there would be no-one crazy enough to come by. I suppose I should, for the sake of the readers.

My name is Alix. And just Alix. I can barely remember my age, I've been in this forest alone for far too long. But I know I have to be at least an adult, but I won't go into dirty details. I have forgotten the day of my birthday, I have forgotten my name. 'Alix' is what I chose to go with.

I'm a Mutant. Does that explain why I live here alone? Indeed, I am hiding from the cloudy minds that would eventually rain on me. They would soak me through until I start to break and melt away. I cry a lot, in this small cabin I built for myself many years ago. There would be nobody to hear my cries, nobody to tell me it's alright. And I'm used to it. I don't cry very much now. Because I started receiving little notes. Usually they'd be thrown in through the window, or left somewhere obvious. I have set myself upon trying to make a lock, but I had not been so lucky as to find any metal that I could fashion a sturdy lock out of.

Did you want to know my Mutant ability? Well I'm sorry I left out such an important part of this story. But I would leave that for later.

Enough of talking to myself. It is a thing I do when I'm afraid of being alone. I forget that I am alone, and speak to the walls as if they are people I wish to meet. People who are reading my stories, page - by - page. But who in the right mind would read a story about me? It doesn't make sense.