eno | one

"god..." i breathed, walking besides emalf, who's hands were stuffed in his jacket pockets. we were walking back towards the castle after doing a patrol around the town. "this job is so fucking boring." i murmured. emalf blew his hair away from his face. "yeah, it's effin' boring, but it's better than nothin'." he shrugged. "plus, not a bad pay either." he shot me a cheeky grin and i elbowed him, swinging open the palace doors, the guards stepping aside.

we strutted over to the throne room, and our great and mighty ruler...was dozing off. as usual. my eyes darted to emalf. "should we wake him...?" emalf shrugged. "hell, whatevs. let the man slee-"

a guard burst through the throne room doors, gasping and coughing like he had just ran a mile. "l-lord...ivlis!!" he shouted, causing ivlis to wake up. "god! fucking hell, i was sleeping!!" he rubbed his eyes. "this better be important." the guard kept looking behind him, like he was being chased. "out there! th-they're coming, sir!" ivlis' eyes widened. "those two...?"

emalf grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the throne room and into the closest room he could run into which happened to be the kitchen. "emalf, what the hell is happening?" i muttered. he let go of me, looking around the room. "just stay quiet. you're new, you wouldn't...eh..you would never expect what's about to happen."

he pointed to the doorway. "two devils from two different worlds are coming. they stop by every now and then and ivlis commanded us to take cover every time. they beat the effin' hell out of him and..." he swallowed. "some other stuff too. but ivlis'd rather not mention it. he says he's used to it, so just to let it happen."

i couldn't believe what i was hearing. we just left him to get hurt? wasn't our job to protect the guy? i bit my lip. "emalf, i..." i walked to the doorway and opened it up. "y/n! the hell are you doing?!" i put a finger up to my lips. "hush. i'm just going to check out what's happening." emalf crossed his arms. "y/n, don't do anything stupid. ever wonder why you replaced rieta?"

i stopped in my tracks. "hm..?" emalf ran his fingers through his hair. "well, pretty much she decided to protect ivlis and got effin' hurt, more than hurt, her mind's messed up after that." his voice was shaking. "that guy, don't remember his name, but he threw her against the wall and we were all watching in horror, he just walked over to her and we just heard screaming. we were too paralyzed in fear to concentrate on our vision."

"i'll be fine." i convinced him, a shiver running down my spine as i left the kitchen to go check out what was happening.