5 - "It's so good to see you"

"Honestly, you guys kind of deserve it," Dayton laid on his bed and flicked through Twitter while Alex finished shoving the last of his things in a suitcase. With only half an hour before they needed to leave, Alex was cutting it real close.

The sudden statement stopped Alex mid packing and he looked at his friend with a sense of betrayal. He had hesitated on telling Dayton all the details of 'The Game', as it was now being referred to, and although he couldn't fault his friend, there was still a feeling of disloyalty.

"It wasn't my fault!"

"Oh yeah, I know that," Dayton spun over onto his stomach and bunched up his pillow which he then rested his chin on, "that's why you both deserve it."

"Well now you don't have a tent-mate," Alex grumbled, angrily putting his toothbrush in a side pocket.

"Yeah I do. Jordan and I are sharing."

Alex's mouth gaped open. He was really being betrayed!

"You asshole!" Alex jumped up and tackled Dayton who just laughed.

"What? Did you want me rooming with some rando?"

Alex playfully punched the laughing boy before finishing his packing.

He really didn't know what to expect for the weekend. His entire body told him to just skip, but the prospect of a practice 'get out of jail free card' was too much to pass up. Even though he'd be partnered with Colby he really hoped everything would turn out well and maybe, just maybe, they'd earn the most points.

-

"Alright! Everyone stand with their partner!" Coach said to the bunch of excited university students while Assistant Coach Dylan made sure everyone was there.

The weather was on their side and a bright sun shone in a cloudless sky. It was a cheerful Friday morning as the team loaded their luggage onto the bus. In a disorganized crowd, the players stood next to their partner for the following 3 days and 2 nights.

Colby searched the group on his tip-toes for his partner when he felt a light tap on his shoulder. He spun around to see Alex. The shorter boy had his sweatshirt sleeves rolled up and a red baseball hat he wore backwards. Small bits of hair stuck out from under Alex's cap as he looked up grumpily at Colby.

For the smallest of seconds, Colby thought the underclassman looked cute but then he remembered who he was and those feelings quickly melted away.

Colby gave him a short nod and then faced forward for further instructions.

"Okay," Coach lifted his hat and wiped off some sweat that beaded from the unusually warm day, "once we get to the campsite, you'll each be given a tent. The first challenge of this weekend is to see who can put it up the fastest. I know that the upperclassmen have an advantage because they've been on this trip before and have used the tents, but don't worry. This is just to see who'll be making dinner tonight. The last three teams will be cooking and everyone will be cleaning up. Once we get there an itinerary will be given out and the activities will be explained in more detail. For now, get your sorry asses on the bus."

Someone whooped and everyone piled on the bus. Alex walked through the center aisle and looked around to find Dayton who, unexpectedly for Alex, was sitting with Jordan.

When he got nearer to them he looked at Dayton with a furrowed brow, "I thought we were gonna sit together?"

An older player sitting behind them spoke up before the friend could explain himself, "it's kind of tradition to sit with your partner." The player, Christian, looked between Colby and Alex, "That kinda sucks for you guys."