18.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Y/n bit her bottom lip roughly, eyes scanning over the school account; her balance wasn't anything she couldn't handle but the thought of typing in her card information and losing a chunk of the money wasn't exciting. She still had a few days to pay, so she switched out the tab and instead focused her attentions on doing anything else. 

Classes would be starting soon and she was already dreading the stress that she was expecting to have; even though taking online classes saved her the trouble of going onto campus, the thought of actually going through the workload was damn near tear-inducing. 

Liza wasn't here, as far as she knew; Y/n had gotten up a little later than normal and the apartment was much too quiet for her best friend turned roommate to be home. She was hoping Liza would call or text her to meet her somewhere, since just sitting at home was beginning to make Y/n go a little stir crazy. 

At this point, even hoping for David's call, which was saying something as he was glued to his camera for any possible content.  

Her cellphone buzzed next to her, the jarring noise and movement snapping her out of her thoughts. Finally

Alex: What are you doing right now, right now?

Furrowing her eyebrows, Y/n debated what to respond. Her boredom eventually took the forefront and she typed back: Literally, NOTHING.

It only took a minute for the next reply. 

Alex: How do you feel about kale?

________________________________________________________________________________

Alex picked up a plastic box, shaking it a few times and examining the contents. 

"Kale is gross," Y/n deadpanned, raising a brow at the green, leafy vegetable. "Have you ever even tasted it."

"Obviously," Alex answered, a sarcastic lace in his tone. "Why else would I be getting it?"

"Because you want to seem healthier than you actually are," she replied with ease, snatching up a stray squash and examining it. "Pretty sure that's what most people do."

"Is that what you do?"

"Nope," Y/n smiled cheekily, placing the squash in its rightful place in the display. "If I bought kale, it would just sit there until it goes bad. And then I would have spent..." She glanced at the price quickly. "Six dollars on filling up my trash bin."

"Six-?" Alex looked down and the plastic box in his hands and towards the display. "Fuck, that's a lot."

"Exactly." She nodded somberly. "But, I mean, if you're actually going to eat it, then go for it."

"After you just told me this shit is six bucks?" He shook his head, tossing the box back gently. Y/n suppressed laughter and picked it back up again. 

"Come on, it's not like it'll put a dent in your savings."

"Says who?" Alex scoffed, sliding the kale into the basket and moving forward. 

"Says the cut you get from David's vlogs." She couldn't help the laugh from escaping her lips as Alex shot her a dry look. When Alex had informed her that he was going to pick her up, and to be ready in five minutes, she thought he meant the metaphorical five minutes. Not literal. But lo and behold, he showed up and Y/n had the sneaking suspicion that he was already on his way there. Which she actually found pretty endearing.