Chapter 14

Seeing the hostages restrained to the vehicles which had been disposed to serve as barriers, they knew they had to try the dialog first. His gun still drawn out, Jim took a megaphone and spoke up:

"Jerome Valeska! You're surrounded, we're giving you one chance to surrender! Let us take the hostages away, there is no chances for you to escape!"

The only answer he got was a small thing thrown toward them. It sounded like a food can, or...They all threw themselves down when they understood what it was.

BOUM!

The explosion deafened them for a short moment. The grenade didn't land close enough for them to be wounded, however Jim saw one of the hostages handcuffed to a van was now unconscious or dead. Shit! Harvey turned to him.

"I guess we go with plan B?"

"Exactly."

The snipers couldn't intervene anymore and there were hostages in front of them. Well, they had a solution Jerome and his loonies might have not expected.

The psychos were pretty sure they wouldn't use any kind of explosives because of the hostages. That's why they were very surprised when projectiles were thrown at them. But instead of explosions, gas spread among them.

Taking advantage of the psychos being blinded by smoke and tears, gangsters and cops alike rushed, gas masks covering their faces. Reaching the hostages restrained to the cars, the cops first freed them and started to evacuate them. Although they were coughing and crying because of the gas, they did leave the place as quickly as possible, escorted by a few policemen. Bullets started to fly though as a strong wind blew, giving the psychos some relief from the gas. Some had been able to protect their faces with clown masks, but those weren't as efficient as gas masks.

They saw the hostages being used by some cultists as human shields. "Don't shoot toward the hostages!" Harvey and Jim both yelled together. "Take the others down!

Jim was firing at a bunch of psychos who stood on a car's top and two of them fell dead while the two others cowered away. Harvey was at his side, when Jim saw him falling. A bullet had touched him. The woman who shot him was shot dead. Jim's hair stood and he got on his knees to see him. He envisioned him dead. But Harvey wasn't bleeding, just breathing heavily. Jim sighed in relief as he saw a bullet in his Kevlar. He only fell because his body was in shock, which was perfectly normal.

"Fuck..."

"Try to get up as soon as possible, I'm covering you!"

"Fuck it! Fuck them all!"

Jim saw another cultist about to attack them and he struck him down with his gun, knocking him out. Something landed near him and he could just back away. Pain spread through his arm and he saw the lightning of a blade. He hit his attacker in the jaw as strong as possible. He looked down at his arm. It was bleeding but the blade hadn't been planted in his flesh. It was just a cut, a bad one, but he could manage. Harvey stood again at his side and they tried to make it to the closest hostage.

"Shoot the ones guarding the tower! Get to the tower!" Oswald yelled while shooting another attacker. His men managed to take down the cultists near the entrance and started to get in. Oswald followed them. He had to save his mother! He didn't have much time! He was about to reach the entrance when a force suddenly lifted him off the ground. He fell and pain spread through his skull. He could just register that something exploded near him. He could hear a buzzing sound. He tried to get up when something suddenly stopped every move from him.