Chapter 15

In contrary to what Bullock feared, General Hilliger listened with attention when they told him what happened. They spoke about the bomb and the mole as well; although they didn't know that man, he wasn't from Gotham, and there was no way he would have been in connection with Jerome. Therefore, that stranger was more reliable.

"So, if I got this straight, we have a bomb somewhere which will explode if a thirteen year old kid escapes the grasp of Jerome Valeska? A kid who also happens to be the heir of one of the biggest company of the country?"

"You got it right."

"And you have no idea where it is? How did you learn about it?"

"It's Bruce Wayne who gave us the message through someone else. Now, it could be a bluff from Valeska but since he doesn't shy away from bombs..."

"Indeed, we can't take any risks." He sighed: "What is he demanding in exchange of Bruce Wayne?"

"Nothing at all. In fact he'll probably prefer to blow his whole group of cultists rather than give him away. Look..." He retrieved the picture Jerome Valeska gave them through the two young hostages he released. Hilliger looked at it and saw a smirking Jerome Valeska holding an exhausted Bruce Wayne by the shoulders. He also read what was written: Never been so happy in my life! You'll never catch me, and you'll never get him back, Jimbo! XXX

This seemed to stun the general. Jim could understand why, it would have seemed logical for a guy like Jerome to capture a kid like Bruce Wayne for money. But this was Gotham and that man would soon learn nothing would go normally here. "He's obsessed with Bruce Wayne, they know each other personally, they used to be friends. His guardian would be able to tell you more than me. There is also this journal he wrote, we found it in Galavan's flat."

"I won't have time to read it."

"Dr Thompkins did, as long as Alfred Pennyworth. They'll tell you what you need to know."

"That's Bruce Wayne's guardian, from what I've been told? Do you really let a civilian assist you in your work?"

"Well, Pennyworth used to be in the army. And considering the great length of cops who were either injured or killed, we won't refuse any competent help. Alfred Pennyworth knows both Bruce Wayne and Jerome Valeska, more than we do."

"Alright. But from now on, we'll do things as rightly as possible. I'll speak with that Dr Thompkins, you captured some of the cultists I heard? Interrogate them." He exited the room and Harvey shrugged: "Could have been worse I guess."

They started with Simon, a man Alfred had fought off in the tower. They didn't get much out of him, the only thing they got was that he didn't like Bruce at all. "It was a loss of time trying to get him back, I wish that bomb killed him! Jerome overestimates him!"

They tried to make him tell where Jerome could be hiding, or where the bomb was, but he didn't speak. Instead, he tried to attack Harvey who retaliated by knocking him out with a good punch. Laura was the next after that. The girl was trying to play tough, but Jim could see she was worried inside. It was something he had learned to recognize with time. Alfred was behind the glass, observing it all.

"You were with Jerome those last days, is it exact?"

"Whatever."

"You were, we saw it on cameras."

"If you know, why do you ask?"

"We want to know more."

She just shut her mouth and didn't utter another word. He tried to make her say where Jerome was, or where the bomb was, but she didn't say a single word anymore. Suddenly, he saw Lee entering. He was surprised by her presence.