Chapter 18

Sorry i forgot about this account haha anyways

Past:

When Bruce came at the circus, he was disappointed when Jeremiah told him Jerome couldn't come now. It was some days after the incident with Zack, and Bruce was alarmed at first: what if they beat him so hard he wouldn't be able to come? But e was relieved to learn his mother punished him by having him helping with the horses again. Otherwise, he was alright.

"Why did she punish him? It's Zack who was wrong."

"Oh, it's not only that, he did some stupid stuff: he hid the cobra in mum's bed as she was coming back with her new...Boyfriend. She was only surprised, but the guy got freaking scared."

Bruce huffed, between amusement and stupefaction. Yes, the cobra wasn't dangerous, he knew that, still it was kinda mean. But now, his mother wasn't exactly the kind of woman who would inspire better feelings. Still, it wasn't the highest means to get back at her, and it was perfectly useless too, she would just be madder and he would get nothing much out of it. He sat at Jeremiah's side who was working until he came over. He was receiving correspondence courses just like Jerome due to the circus moving often. The difference was that Jeremiah received courses from a high-rated school, something he had obtained thanks to a loan, and even though he was only fifteen, he was working on his Highschool Graduation.

"You told me you wanted to become an engineer?"

"Yes. Conceiving things and all, I know it's not the funniest thing ever, but I like it."

"It doesn't necessarily needs to be fun, as long as it interest you. Where will you study?"

"I haven't made my choice, yet. I applied for a student loan, I won't be able to go further without that."

Bruce opened his mouth but Jeremiah smiled and shook his head: "I know what you're going to propose, and it's no. You're not here for that, and I'd rather obtain that by my own means."

This stunned Bruce: "Am I that obvious?"

"Not every time, but you're very generous. Be careful, that will play against you eventually." The boy release a laugh and Jeremiah is happy; he is whenever he manages to be the one who makes him laugh and not Jerome. From someone else, he wouldn't have minded that help, in fact, he might have milked everything he could from that person. But he didn't want to use Bruce, and he didn't want him or anyone to think he was using the boy. His mother often point out that a friend such as Bruce Wayne will really help in the future and Jerome taunt him about the fact he is so obviously trying to get benefits out of him. None of them are right. It's something different he wants from him. And Bruce was giving it right now.

"Do you have a project in mind?"

"Well, I thought of something about energy. Maybe, bringing out a way to have clean energy, you know? That's the kind of domain which has a lot of potential, there is a lot to discover."

Jeremiah explained him more. It was agreeable to have someone interested and who could actually understand it. The subject went to science-fiction. Although Bruce was a bit fonder of dark and supernatural, he liked science-fiction as well, and this had become one of their favorite subjects to talk about. Suddenly, Jeremiah stopped talking and got up.

"Let's go walk a bit, I'm tired of sitting around."

"Okay..."

They started to leave and Bruce saw Zack walking toward their caravan. Of course...

"Does he beat you too?" Asked he as soon as they were far enough.

"...Hum...Not much. It happened at times, but I do what it takes to avoid it."