Chapter 1: Nice Day For A White Wedding

* * * * *

"This is so fucking stupid. I cannot believe just how fucking stupid this is. Why did I fucking let you talk me into this?" Jennie paced across the hotel room, rubbing her arms to try to calm herself.

"It'll be fine, Jen," her sister said. "It'll be completely fine."

"Fine? Are you f'nuts?"

Lisa spluttered with laughter. "F'nuts? You've been swearing like a sailor for an hour and now suddenly you decide to censor yourself?"

Jennie scowled at her sister and hitched her dress up. She couldn't believe she had backed herself into such a corner. She sighed heavily and sat down on the edge of the bed. She plucked at a stray thread on the front of the wedding dress that she had bought the previous day.

"Tell me again that this is not the stupidest thing we have ever done."

Lisa shuffled around the bed and threw her arm around her sister. She squeezed her reassuringly. "Babe, we've done many, many things that are a lot stupider than this. I can start naming them, if you want. How about the time you crashed the car and managed to persuade the cop that you took your eyes off the road because I was going into diabetic shock? Or the time that you threw up all over the principal during graduation? Or when we turned up at Chaerin's 'fortieth' birthday party and passed out photocopies of her real birth certificate? I could go on, but it's fair to say that we have done a lot of stupid things."

Despite her anxiety, Jennie found herself chuckling. "The birth certificates were genius. I really thought she was going to kill us."

Lisa nodded. "The look on her face was more than worth the forty bucks at Kinko's."

"Wasn't it, though?"

Lisa hugged Jennie awkwardly and rubbed her arm. "Feel better?"

"A little bit."

"Ready to go get married?"

"No."

"Good. Now, get your fat tush off this bed and let's go to City Hall."

* * *

She was bouncing nervously on her heels (which, if she remembered correctly, cost more than the dress), waiting for her bride to arrive. The City Clerk's office was particularly busy that day and the wait for the chapel was over an hour, but they couldn't exactly do anything without Jisoo.

"Have you got the marriage licence?" Lisa asked.

"No, Jisoo took it." They had appeared in person the previous day, as New York state law dictated, and had paid for the licence and ceremony. It had cost sixty bucks in total. Sixty bucks to get legally married seemed like nothing. The optional extras, a photographer and a bouquet, had dwarfed that cost. "Have you got my driver's licence?"

"Right here." Lisa held up her clutch purse. "And I've got the rings too, before you ask."

"God, I forgot all about them! What are they like?" She'd asked Lisa to get the rings while she and Jisoo were at City Hall the day before.

"I decided that simple and traditional was probably best." Lisa pulled out a small velvet pouch and removed one of the rings. It was a thin gold wedding band. "You're the same ring size, so I doesn't matter which is which."

"Do you think she's changed her mind?"

"Sit down, Jennie." Lisa patted the couch next to her. "She'll be here. She needs this more than you do."

"What time is it?"

"It's only just after two."

Jennie leaned back on the couch and watched a young couple barely out of their teens approach the desk and hand over all their documents. They had a group of about a dozen people, obviously family, who were fussing around them. One of the older men straightened the boy's tie and placed a hand on his shoulder. He smiled back wanly, but there was a slight sheen of sweat developing on his top lip.