Chapter 10: Leave Right Now

* * * * *

Her night out was even worse than she could have imagined. Lisa pressed her constantly about Jisoo, even though she had made it quite clear that it was the very last topic she wanted to discuss. She still stayed over at Lisa's rather than return home, however: Lisa's nosiness was marginally preferable to facing Jisoo, who was already planning her new life. She brushed Lisa off with the explanation that she couldn't bear spending any more time with Bogum and didn't want to get pulled into moving him into his new apartment. Lisa didn't believe her, and she didn't care.

When she eventually roused herself the following morning, she still couldn't face returning to their apartment, so she went out drinking. She drank steadily and without any relish all day. She drank like every sip was a punishment to be endured and returned home well into the small hours.

Most of the traces of Bogum were gone from the apartment. More tellingly, Jisoo was gone from her bed; Jennie assumed she had moved back into her old room. It was not a complete surprise, but it still made her die a little bit inside. Jisoo also wasn't there when she woke up. There was no note. She took a bottle of vodka from the kitchen and holed up in her music room.

She woke to find Jisoo leaning against the doorframe, her arms folded and her feet crossed at the ankles. Despite her casual stance, Jennie could tell that her wife was angry.

"Hey," she tried, struggling into a seated position, knowing that she must look exactly as bad as she felt. Her head was spinning and her mouth dry. Her bare foot connected with the empty bottle of vodka, sending it skittering across the floor. She watched it with shame.

"So, is this going to be a regular thing?" Jisoo asked wearily.

"What?"

"You crawling into a bottle and disappearing for days on end?"

Jennie just shrugged. There was nothing she could say that wouldn't sound defensive or petulant.

"Because I thought we had this discussion before. Remember? Last time, when you faithfully promised that you would never do it again? That you wouldn't let me think you were cooling your heels in the drunk tank or lying in some hospital bed or worse? That you'd talk to me first?"

Jennie pressed her hand to her forehead. She thought about pointing out that, unlike the previous occasion, her phone had not been full of messages and calls, and that maybe if Jisoo was so worried, she could have called. That maybe if Jisoo had shown even an ounce of caring, she would have come home in an instant. Instead, she shrugged again. "I told you I was staying at Lisa's."

Jisoo rubbed the back of her neck with her hand. "No, you said you were going out with her. Two days ago."

"I decided to stay."

"Long enough that you couldn't be here to help Bogum with moving?"

She shrugged a third time. "I was out." She turned her head away. She didn't want Jisoo to see that she was getting upset by both her wife's obvious disappointment and her own behaviour.

"Out?" Jisoo echoed. She shook her head scornfully. "That's all you've got? You're gone for two whole days and all you have is that you were out?" Jisoo hadn't even raised her voice. She sounded tired and resigned. To Jennie, that was worse than shouting. "Oh, it went fine, by the way. Bogum's move. He bought you something, to thank you for putting up with him all this time. It's in the kitchen."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. It's for you. I didn't open it. Maybe if you hadn't been quite so drunk, you'd have noticed and opened it yourself by now."