Chapter 8: We Are Family

* * * * *

Five weeks after their interviews, Jennie was no nearer asking her wife out on a real date or telling her that she had feelings for her.

She had mentally downgraded her status from being in love - that was way, way too huge to deal with - to the simpler 'having feelings' because having feelings was good; it was manageable. She had feelings for all sorts of things and people.

She had strong feelings, for example, about people who used their cellphones in shared enclosed spaces like elevators, in that she believed death was too good for them. She had equally strong feelings about the cherry blintzes from the Russian tea room down the block (they were the best dessert in recorded human history), her sister's interest in her personal life (it was none of her business) and the genius of Bacharach and David (they were gods).

Fortunately for Jennie, Jisoo was busier than ever anyway. Due to cutbacks, the station was short-handed and Jisoo had picked up some extra shifts. While Jennie missed Jisoo's company, her absence kept Jennie from having to face how she felt about her.

She wanted Jisoo to make the first move. In fact, she wanted Jisoo to make all the necessary moves because she didn't know what those moves should be.

Her skills lay in picking up models at parties or sales assistants in high-end boutiques or random strangers in bars. In those women, the moment where friendliness crossed over into real flirtation could be pinpointed to a look which lingered a fraction too long, a smile which wasn't really about what was said, or even a simple touch.

But Jisoo was so open with everyone. She hugged Anthony the doorman. She blew kisses at the pretzel guy. She maintained eye contact at all times when she was talking to people. She shared her natural warmth with friends and strangers alike.

Jennie might be able to read sexual attraction in a stranger's body language, but she wouldn't recognise it in her own wife if it came with a voice-over and subtitles for the hard of understanding.

She threw her pencil across the room in frustration. "Why can't she just give me a fucking sign?" she asked, dropping her head in her hands.

She damn near gave herself whiplash when the phone rang. She immediately grabbed for it.

"Jisoo?" she said. Surely it couldn't be?

"No, not Jisoo. You must be the wife," a young man said.

"Jennie Kim," she supplied cautiously.

"I'm Bogum Kim, the brother-in-law."

"Bogum!" He was the last person she was expecting. "Jisoo's not here right now. She's going to be so pissed that she missed you. Where are you anyway? Can you call back later? She'll be home in a couple of hours."

He laughed. "Well, I could drop by later instead, if that's okay."

"You're in New York?"

"Sure am. In fact, I'm with a very beautiful girl who says she knows you." In the background, Jennie heard a little girl squealing with laughter. "Hold on."

There was a pause and then Yeri said, "Hiya!"

"Hi, Yeri," she said. "Are you having fun with Daddy?"

"Daddy's eating ice-cream."

Jennie chuckled. "Well, I hope you've got ice-cream, too."

There was a clattering noise and then she heard Bogum telling Yeri not to hit the phone off the table and to give it back to Daddy.

"Sorry about that," Bogum said.

"It's fine. Look, I have an idea. Why don't you and Yeri come over here and surprise Jisoo when she comes home?"