Chapter 1

Rieal watched the light pour out of the windows of the little hobbit hole. She stood with her arms crossed in the road that went in front of the home. A hood covered her face. She had hidden her horse in a small meadow a mile away and walked to the little hole. Rieal had never met a Hobbit, I hope they are as pleasant as I have been told. The elf thought.

Rieal straightened her arms and took a deep breathe. To be honest, yes she was nervous. Walking into a group of male Dwarves. Who's leader, mind you, was Throin Oakanshield. Thorin was the heir to the line of Durin. King under the Mountain. King of Erebor. He would have been crowned if it was not for Smaug; the Dragon who had come from the north and burned the city of Dale to the ground and taken the Lonely Mountain under his control. When he arrived, all the Dwarves of Erebor had fled and been scattered. They had asked the elves for help but they had been refused. The king of the elves, her father, thandruil, had not wanted to compromise his people. That was where the hate between the elves and Dwarves was rooted from.

All this history of course, led to why Rieal was here. The Dwarves wanted to reclaim their home. And Gandalf had said that they needed an elf. Likely story, the She-elf thought, Dwarves hate me.

Rieal shook herself out of her thoughts. "No time for the past." She muttered to herself, "Only for the present." Then she crossed the road and opened the gate. When she was in front of the door, the elf raised her hand to the door. But she faltered. She heard the low voices of Dwarves and a few laughs. But with a deep breathe, she knocked.

In the Hobbit hole
Thorin looked up at Gandalf from his food. All the Dwarves that had been yelling were silenced. There was another knock. A smile slipped onto Gandalf's face. "It seems that our third party is here." He stood and walked to the door. All the Dwarves leaned a little closer to see who was at the door. Gandalf opened the door and stepped back to allow the guests to enter. A figure stooped and entered through the door. They were hooded, unusually tall and had a bow at their side. There was an uneasy silence. Gandalf whispered something to the figure and it nodded.

"Gentlemen, may I introduce you to the 16th person of our company." The figure pushed back the hood to reveal the beautiful blonde elf. "Rieal of Mirkwood."

Thorin's eyes narrowed as he eyed the she-elf. "Gandalf." The once happy mood was gone. All the Dwarves looked upon the elf in utter surprise. Some with an annoyed look. Thorin's voice was low and gravelly, "What is the meaning of you bringing an elf into our midst." Rieal calmly watched Thorin. She decided to ignore his comment. "Thorin Oakenshield, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." She bowed her head in respect. Thorin glared more at the elf. Rieal lifted her eyes and searched the room. Her gaze fell upon a young dwarf. He had messy dark brown hair and brown eyes. When he saw her eyes on him, his innocent brown one's went wide. Their eyes met only for a moment before Riel tore her eyes away to Thorin.

Thorin was glaring at Gandalf. "I will not allow this."

"Thorin Oakanshield you said you required 16 accomplices for this journey. I acquired 2 and if you do not like them then you will find them yourself!"

A small coughing noise made Rieal turn around. A small Hobbit stood behind her. "Oh, um hello. I'm Bilbo Baggins. Uh, just one, Uh question Mr. Oakanshield. Why are you so opposed to her accompanying you?" Rieal smiled. She already liked this Hobbit.

Thorin glared at the three non-Dwarves. "I do not want her to come because she is an elf. When the Dwarves were in need did the elves help? No. They stayed selfish and arrogant and ignored out pleas for help." He was standing now. Leaning over the table towards her.

Rieal felt his cheeks heat up. How dare he insult my people. "Those are the sins of my king. Not of my kin nor of me!" She stared down on him. There was a tense silence. Until Gandalf laid his hand on the dwarf's arm and pulled him gently away.