Chapter 3

Rieal P.O.V
While riding, I had talked to Bilbo. He had never met an elf, so it was humorous too see his reaction to the way I spoke and acted. I had also talked to a few more of the Dwarves. They were pleasant. Not exactly polite, but they liked to joke around. Thorin never talked to me. But a few Dwarves actions does not account for the whole group and I was determined not to form a prejudice.

It was evening when we finally stopped. The sun was gone . We had passed through Bree quite a while ago. Well, we skirted the edges of the town. Gandalf didn't think an elf princess and the future king of Erebor would be very safe in the dirty town. When we had gotten past the town, we were in open country. Sometimes when we passed through a clearing, I could see the Misty Mountians. Tall, majestic, and filled with horrible creatures.

The company made camp in an outcropping of rock. As the dwarves made camp, I stood by Vindar. Murmuring in elvish, I rubbed his nose and let him eat out of my palm. I could tell he was agitated by the strange smells he was encountering. There was also the slightest hint of orc. I could sense that much.

"Shhhhh calm nin mel, calm." I patted his nose. "I know brave er I smell them too."

"Lady Rieal?" Kili's voice caught my attention.

I turned around in amusement, "Lady Rieal?"

I saw Kili's face flush brightly. "I just- Balin called you- I thought-"

"Kili," I interrupted, "Unless you wish to call you Master Kili, you call me Rieal."

Kili grinned sheepishly. "Alright, Rieal, you're invited to join us by the fire."

"Thank you, I think I will."

Kili smiled and walked away.

After a few more encouraging words to Vindar, I made my way to the fire. Most of the dwarves were asleep. Gandalf, Kili, Fili and Bilbo were sitting around the fire. I sat between Kili and Gandalf. The latter was puffing on a pipe

For a moment, there was only the snoring of dwarves and chirping of insects. Then, faraway, a scream cracked through the silence like a whip. The heads of those surrounding the fire snapped up.

Bilbo stood up and stammered in fear. "What was that?"

Kili tapped his sword. "Orcs."

Another scream echoed around the lowlands.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Thorin jerk awake.

Bilbo looked terrified. "Orcs?"

Film nodded. "Throatcutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them."

Kili leaned forward and used his hands to speak. "They strike in the wee small hours, when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams, just lots of blood."

Bilbo looked around in fright.

I raised my eyebrow at the brothers. Fili and Kili looked at each other and burst into laughter

Thorin was suddenly in front of the fire. "You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?"

Kili looked confused by his uncles anger. In shame he said, "We didn't mean anything by it."

Thorin glared at them. "No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world."

Thorin walked off to the edge of the outcropping and looks out over the valley into the lowlands. Balin walked up to Fili and Kili.

"Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first."

Kili and Fili tilted forward in interest, as did Bilbo. I watched Thorin's figure carefully.

Balin continued. "Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the most vile of all their race: Azog, the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King. Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us." Balin looked up wistfully. "That is when I saw him: a young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc."

I glanced at Balin, then Thorin.

"He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armor rent...wielding nothing but an oaken
branch as a shield. Azog, the Defiler, learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast, no song, that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived."

Balin stared at Throin. "And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King."

A Balin finished his story, Thorin started walking towards us. The Company had awoken and watched at him.

Bilbo's eyes were wide. "But the pale orc? What happened to him?"

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Throin growled.

The smell of orcs came to mind. Gandalf's eyes met mine in concern as he puffed out a smoke ring. Immediately, I sensed that he knew something that the rest did not.

Calm non Mel- calm my love
Brave er- brave one