// ten //

I sprinted, opening the door and slamming it shut behind me. I frantically looked around the room before my eyes landed on someone. Derek.

~

I didn't have a chance to speak before the beast rammed into the door. "What the hell is that?" Derek shouted. "I don't know but it's going to fucking kill us!" I replied. The thing rammed into the door again, and this time I could hear the door frame crack slightly. It wouldn't be long until it broke through.

Derek ran and grabbed a desk that was by one of the walls and placed it in front of the door before running over to me and grabbing me by the shoulders. "Are you alright?" He asked, looking straight at my eyes. I couldn't really think straight right now. Another slam came along with a definite crack. "I'm fine." I said shortly, pulling from Derek's grip. He looked nervous, but his faced drained of emotion as he let himself shift.

The door broke through and the beast launched in, a mangled growl in it's throat. I wasn't even fully aware of what was happening, it was as if my body was moving without my mind telling it to. I grabbed one of the wooden chairs nearby and threw it towards the creature. It slammed off of it but it barely fazed it.

Whatever I tried was useless, I was useless. It was so selfish of me to bring the thing here just so Derek could do something about it instead of me. I would probably end up getting him killed, and I couldn't let myself do that. No matter what, there was no way in hell Derek was going to die.

As Derek was mercilessly throwing himself at the thing, I formed a (potentially fatal) plan in my head. I thought over it once more before putting it into action.

I ran towards the back of one of the bookshelves and grabbed some books on mythology. I then began to run along the rows of shelves, neither Derek or the beast paying attention to me. I briefly saw the beast's stinger nearly pierce Derek in the abdomen, missing it by less than an inch.

I grabbed one of the books about Greek mythology , having finally remembered that this is where I had seen the creature before. I scanned the contents before my eyes landed on a name, Manticore. I went to the section on it as quickly as possible and read through the information, looking for some way to kill it.

It said that the manticore's fur was impenetrable, meaning that the only possible way to kill it would be through its mouth, which made this entire situation even more complicated.

I also read that a sting of it's tail could instantly kill anybody it got, and I silently thanked whatever God was up there that Derek hadn't been stung. I began searching the library for something I could use the shove down it's throat.

There were no chemicals, so I couldn't blow it up. But by pure chance my eyes seemed to fall on a long sword placed up on the wall. I awkwardly climbed the shelves to reach it, repeatedly glancing at Derek to make sure he was okay. It seemed as if all he was doing now was trying to dodge it instead of trying to hurt it. He must have figured it was no use.

I stretched up and grabbed the long, bronze sword from its place on the wall. If it wasn't for the current situation we were in, I would have made some sarcastic remark about how stupid it would've been to have a silver sword instead, but I didn't.

I jumped down, thankfully not breaking my foot on landing, and ran to where the beast and Derek were fighting. I ran behind Derek, looking for a way to get in somehow.

"What are you doing Stiles! Move!" Derek shouted as one of the manticore's claws slashed against his chest. He winced in pain at the contact. I hated seeing him having to go through this, but no was not the time to dwell on those things.

"Derek, just do one thing for me." I said in his ear as he tried to regain his balance. "Kick it across the room into some shelves. I know it won't do much damage but it'll give us some time." I urged. He nodded hazily before kicking the manticore in it's lower stomach and sending it flying across the room." I let out a content sigh at the sight but got on with the plan.

I turned Derek around to face me. "It'll be back up any minute now, so I don't have much time to do this," I started. Derek tried to interrupt but I stopped him. "I know you're keeping things from me about before I came here. I know you knew me before here, and I know your uncle Peter killed Jackson. But Derek, none of that matters anymore." I said, quickly, but sincerely. I could see his eyes growing sadder as I went on. "I know enough to know that you mean a lot to me. You mean so god damn much to me and that's what matters. I love you, Derek Hale." I said as the manticore regained its footing.

Without thinking, I smashed my lips onto Derek's, savouring what could very well be my last moment with him.

I pulled away, and he looked confused as I took what could only be called a battle stance. Derek could barely register what I was about to do as I took off running towards the oncoming manticore. I'm pretty sure my facial expression was comical, but there was zero humour behind it as I held the sword out in front of me, and dug it in to the throat of the manticore, piercing through it's flesh.

I screamed in agony as it's three rows of teeth clamped down on my arm, tearing the skin wide open. "Stiles!" Derek yelled running over to my side. Her began kicking and clawing at the beast, which was slowly dying. It's teeth stayed on my, refusing to let go. My eyes started to become watery as the pain had taken over me. I tried my best to kick it too, but it didn't do anything.

Derek had started pulling at its mouth, and I could feel the teeth finally starting to release. Maybe this was all going to end up okay.

Of course, I spoke to soon. As soon as Derek had gotten it's teeth off of me, it swung it's tail rapidly, and hit me in the neck.

My body fell limp to the floor, as well as the monster's. I was filled with a stinging sensation that I can't describe.

I felt Derek's arms encase me and press my body into his chest.

This is it, I thought. I'm actually going to die. And it wasn't until then I realised exactly how terrified of dying I was.

I felt wet drops hit my cheeks, tears from Derek. I couldn't quite hear him crying, but I knew that he was.He was holding my hand, somehow taking part of the pain away. I could not stop thinking about how much I loved him. Everything was coming back, all in flashes too quick for me to process, but I knew that he was the best thing to ever happen to me.

I thought of Scott, and how we never made up. I thought of Isaac, and how I never got to see how he made Scott so happy. I thought of Boyd and the twins, and how I never really got to know them. I thought of Erica, and how she was the first person I talked to in here that didn't think I was a nut job. I thought of Malia, and how I never got to thank her for what she had done for me since had gotten here. I thought about never seeing Lydia, my childhood crush and one of my best friends ever again. I thought about never talking to my dad again.

I thought about never kissing Derek again, and that was enough pain to actually kill.

All I wanted now was to be gone, to have no more pain, to be free.

And I almost had that until I felt a pair of teeth pierce my skin.