[Chapter 2] This Cycle

-Anthony’s POV-

I feel so horrible leaving Heather, but Kalel needed me. I needed to help her… But was it really my job to do that? Even if it wasn't, it was too late. I couldn't turn back, I was already driving to her house.

It hurts everytime I see her. She always seems to end up hurting me. But now I have a wall around her. And every time I finally finish building it, she just bulldozes it right back down again. I don’t know why she does this to me, or if she feels pleasure doing it. But as much as I crave for her love, I still care about what she wants and what she feels. It’s so hard to see her get hurt, and I can’t do anything about it. I want to help. But she pushes me away.

I reach out for her. But she somehow escapes. But this time she asked for my help. I just hope she won’t push me away again. I hope leaving Heather was worth it. I hope going back to Kalel was the right decision.

Before my thoughts went any further I realized that I was there, at her house. Wow, I thought to myself as I got out of the car, Their house looks really nice.

You know what else was really nice? The house you shared with Heather. You know, the one you two made your own after Kalel left you?

I slammed the car door shut and approached the front door.

Kalel had every reason to leave me. I left her.

True. But you left her and met Heather. You love Heather.

You also love Kalel.

But Heather's the one you should be with. She loves you for who you are now. Kalel loves the old you. The old you is dead.

You don't know that.

The two voices in my head fought against each other. I already made my decision and I wasn't going to turn back. Not now. I raised my hand to knock on the door when I heard some rustling behind me. I glanced over my shoulder.

“Anthony?” I shaking voice whispered from the forest.

“Kalel?” I easily recognized the voice. I back away from the door and started walking towards the direction where I had heard her voice.

“Take me away from here." Kalel broke out of the tree line and darted up to me, clinging onto me for dear life. "I-I don’t know what to do anymore." She buried her face into my chest, "I have a...a...” She cut herself short.

“You have a what?” I asked, stepping out of the embrace but keeping a hold onto her upper arms. I looked into her eyes. Her sad, sad eyes.

“N-nothing.” Kalel stuttered, averting her gaze away from mine. I knew she was lying, but I just let it go. I pulled her close once again and wrapped my arms around her tightly.

“It feels so good being in your arms again,” She whispered, looking up at me and a faint smile appearing on her face.

I put the back of my hand to her cheek lovingly and grinned, “It's going to be okay, Kalel. We can deal with Ian later. He and I used to be best friends, remember?”

Instead of replying appropriately or even relevant to what I said, she replied, "Can we go now? It...It's freezing out here." She crossed her arms over her chest and her teeth started chattering.

I nodded and assisted Kalel over to my car, opening the passenger's door for her to get in. I closed the door behind her and jogged around to the other side. I quickly slid into the driver’s seat and started the car up. I pulled out from the tiny house's driveway and got back on the road, headed for my house.