[Chapter 4] I Wish You Were Here

-Anthony’s POV-

I can’t do this. She hates me.

No, she doesn’t.

Yes, she really really does.

What about Kalel? I know she loves Ian.

How do you know that?

I don’t know.

I can’t help but yearn for Heather.

Talking to yourself might be crazy for other people but sometimes it just calms me.

I tapped my fingers on my car’s steering wheel, waiting for the cars to move. There was an insane amount of traffic and at this rate, Heather would be long gone if I didn’t start moving.

Suddenly my phone rang, making me jump. I didn’t look at the caller before picking up the phone, but the voice that came out didn’t surprise me.

“Anthony,” Kalel whimpered from the other side of the phone. “Please don’t leave me,” She begged.

“I have to get Heather and you’re not making this any easier for me,” I sighed.

“You don’t get it, do you? Anthony, she left for a reason and she made it clear that she didn’t want you or anyone to come and get her. Why don’t you understand?” She said in a strangled voice.

“She didn’t mean what she said! She was just sad and frustrated, so she wanted to get away. But she didn’t mean it!” I retorted.

“Anthony, are you trying to convince me or yourself?” She whispered.

I sucked in a deep breath, taking in what she just said.

Heather wasn’t thinking before she said it…right?

Of course.

I can’t be unsure. If I want to be with Heather, I have to be sure with her.

I hung up the phone in anger. How dare she tell me what I wanted or didn’t want? I rang Heather and to my surprise, she picked up.

“Please, Anthony, just stop,” She said, once I put my ear to the phone.

“Why?” I inquired with pain.

“I wanted you to stop lying…but you didn’t. That’s when I realized you and Kalel were meant to be. I can’t be with you. I only attract problems!” She shouted.

“Stop blaming this on yourself! I love you Heather!" I bit my lip and added quietly, "Why can’t you see that?”

“It’s because the wall you built for me is solid. If you don’t want me to blame you, then fine! YOU WERE THE ONE WHO CONTACTED KALEL! YOU LIED AND CHEATED ON ME! YOU PLANNED ON GETTING BACK WITH KALEL! YOU WERE THE REASON WE FOUGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE! YOU PROPOSED TO ME AND SUDDENLY -BAM!- YOU’RE GONE!" She cried out, pausing for a quick second. "I just can't trust you, Anthony!"

“I’m sorry, okay? What else do you want from me?” I realized my voice’s volume was increasing by the moment.

“Sorry doesn’t solve everything. I want you to just leave me alone. I have people who actually care and love me now; so just go. Have your happily ever-freaking-after with Kalel,” That's when I heard sobs on the other end of the line - she was crying.

“Baby, please don’t cry. Kalel came after me. I never wanted to hurt you,” I told her, quickly panicking.

Wow, you’re such an ass, blaming it on Kalel. It was only because she cared!