The First Night.

"No, I wasn't mad, you're being paranoid~! Fufufu~! My beautiful queen~!" A smile spreading across your lips at Doffy's voice as you hold your phone to your ear, your boyfriend seemingly feeling apologetic now that night has fallen. 

And so he should be after how he came across earlier.

"Queen~?" You can hear the blonde humming to himself on the other end of the line, he had claimed that he has business studies work to brush up on so he won't be sleeping much tonight. "Don't worry about Rosi, he's just a friend. You know I love you." Your eyes instinctively trail over to Law, watching attentively as the little boy brushes his teeth ready for bed. 

At least he doesn't run rings around me like Luffy.

"Rosi? Fufufu~! Are you trying to make me jealous with that nickname, [F/n]~?" 

The only thing his words earn is a slight chuckle and a roll of your eyes, not that he can see that though. "Not at all, Doffy. I better let you get on with your work now, I'm distracting you. Goodnight." You pull the phone from your ear, hearing him respond 'I love you' before hanging up.

Yeah right, the only person you love is yourself.

"Why would you date someone like that?" Law questions before taking a mouthful of water, seemingly rinsing before spitting it back into the sink. "You clearly don't really love him."  

Huh? How can he tell?

The boy doesn't add to his statement though, simply making his way into your bedroom before peeling off his clothes and changing into his little polar bear pyjamas.

If a kid notices it then surely, Doffy can too...

Your phone vibrates in your hand, stealing your attention as a message from Rosinante pops up. 

Since Law isn't going to elaborate on why he thinks such things, you decide to read the message. A smile forming on your face when the blonde sends you the picture of you both together, a text underneath saying; 

'I made this my profile picture too, is that okay?'

How adorable! Of course it's okay!

You don't even notice Law staring at you intensely as you type out your reply, the boy studying your every move. Of course, you allow Rosinante to have the profile photo, now you're matching with him. 

Placing your phone down on the beside table, you make your way to the centre of your bedroom floor. Since Law doesn't have a bed of his own, you're allowing him to have yours while you take the floor.

You're even keeping a lamp on for him during the night.

Seriously, the things I do for kids...

Upon wrapping yourself up in the sleeping bag, you close your eyes but your brain troubles you, your mind keeps drifting to Rosinante. You can't help but wonder if you intrigue him as much as he intrigues you. 

Does he find me cute? Does he like my smile? Has he noticed any little quirks about me? Why am I even thinking like this? I'm meant to be dating his brother!

The thoughts don't leave though, continuously circling around in your head and keeping you awake. 

Taking a discreet glance at the bed, you see that Law has managed to drift off to sleep, this surprises you since Newgate said he has trouble sleeping at night but you don't question it too much.

Quietly climbing to your feet, you grab your phone and unlock it, hoping that Rosinante had texted you back but it would seem he hasn't even seen your message yet.

Probably just as well, getting attached to him would only complicate things.

A whimper from the bed stealing your attention, the young raven is squirming around in his sleep, sweat essentially pouring down his face. 

"Oi? Law?" 

Your concerns going unheard as his cries grow louder, his eyes suddenly shooting open as he sits up hastily. The boy's breathing is ragged and his face pale, tears filling his eyes as he buries his face in his hands, seemingly trying to calm himself down. 

Is he having a panic attack?!

"Hey, hey, it's okay." You murmur softly as you take a seat beside the kid on the bed, wrapping your arms around his small frame and pull him into a tight hug. "It's alright, it was just a bad dream. You're safe now, Law." 

The boy doesn't respond to you though, only his muffled cries reach your ears as he buries his face into your shirt, his hands clinging to you for dear life as you lay down with him.

Although you're not exactly sure what this kid has been through, he still reaches out to you on a personal level, you've felt this pain yourself. You've struggled to sleep at night due to things you've seen, you've been bitter against the world, even bitter against your parents for dying.

You know it wasn't their fault, the fire was an accident and they sure as hell didn't choose to get stuck in it but you still couldn't stop that feeling of anger inside of you, it has lasted for years.

You're kinder to people now but you still have that mean streak in you, that side to you that wants to hurt people so that they know the pain you feel everyday.

Your heart stiffens at the thought of this little boy turning out like you though, you realize now how Newgate must've felt when he wanted to adopt you, how he must have wanted to stop you turning out cold-hearted also.

Because you want to stop it from happening to this child.

Your arms instinctively tightening around the boy protectively as you plant a gentle kiss on his forehead, you can feel his tears seeping through your shirt and wetting your skin but you don't mind at all, he needs you and you intend to be there for him.

"Everything will be okay..." 

Your voice still as soft as silk for the child, his tense body is slowly beginning to relax as he slowly drifts back off to sleep but you daren't let him go, you feel like you're the only thing keeping his dreams stable and you don't want to ruin that.

"I've got you, Law...don't worry..."