THREE

I'd never been to a college party before. I hadn't been to a high school party either though. Frankly, I hadn't been to any party with my peers, I was home schooled by a private tutor until Mom finally convinced Dad to let me go to a private school in middle school and even then it was too dangerous to do anything worth doing.

Sheltered was an understatement. Social skills were, well, lacking.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked stupidly.

"Drink." Emma said handing me a red plastic cup. "Dance. Mingle."

I took a drink, it was my first drink of beer, but not my first taste of alcohol. We had quite the collection in the house, for someone so paranoid and strict as my father, the booze was never locked up. Never. There had been some occasions where we had gotten into the wine cellar or liquor cabinet until we had gotten stupid and sick. In those instances, Dad would give me little sympathy and instead mutter to me that I was just like my mother and leave me to my misery.

He was good at cleaning up some messes, and pretty bad at others.

I didn't think I liked beer, but desperate to keep up, I drank it anyway.

The twins were popular, they knew a lot of people. Every single person they ran into they introduced me too saying "This is Charlie." As though I was a delicious delectable dessert to be desired by everyone.

Somehow, it worked.

Everyone they introduced me to, names I would certainly not remember, faces that all blurred, were fascinated with my presence all because the twins acted as though they should be!

Was it that simple to trick people? Pretend to be interesting and everyone would just assume you were?

"Relax." Addy said sitting on the edge of a pool table. "You look hot. Everyone thinks you go here. And that guy-" She nodded with her head. "Is totally checking you out."

I looked over my shoulder to the brunette watching me, he was standing in a sort of circle talking with a few friends but his attention remained on me rather than them. I turned back to Addy. "He's cute." I admitted. "But that cop-"

"What about him?"

I realized suddenly that it seemed silly to be thinking about the cop, I knew only his last name, I was sixteen he must be older than me, I'd probably never even see him again. "Oh nothing, I was just hoping he doesn't catch the guys. I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"If he doesn't catch them they are going to tell your parents what you're wearing and that we aren't in our dorms or studying in the library or whatever." Emma pointed out and I nodded.

"Yeah, that's true." I thought about this for a few moments before finishing my beer quickly and moving to a make shift room for dancing where we had to yell to be heard. "But, I mean, he was kind of cute wasn't he?"

Addy shrugged. They had little interest in being with men. They messed around, entertained and allowed themselves to be entertained, but they had never dated or been serious with anyone. It was like to commit to someone else would be a betrayal to the other. They went on dates, and they spent time away from each other, but ultimately, the two cared far more about each other than any guys, so far.

Their aloof attitude somehow only added to their sex appeal.

"How old do you have to be to be a cop anyway?"

"I don't know." I admitted. "It's not like it matters anyway, it's not like I'll ever see him again it's just...okay, this is going to sound weird, and stupid, and lame but like he put his hand on my shoulder and I just...felt it."