Boy or Girl

Amelia's POV:

I am now almost to my 5th month of pregnancy. This is the first appointment Owen is coming to with me and its an important one, we get to find out the gender. I am beyond excited to have him here with me so we can find out together. It sadly isn't until later in the day and we both have to work until then.

I sit up in bed and Owen walks back into the bedroom after showering and sits down beside me leaning down to my stomach. He has been talking to my belly ever since he got home, I actually adore it and think it is the cutest thing ever. He will make the best dad. 

"Hi little fetus. It's your dad again. We can't wait for you to be here. Don't you forget that we love you so much already and can't wait to spoil you." He says rubbing my stomach.

I smile down at him and run my hands through his hair. He sits up and kisses me. 

"After we find out the gender can we start talking about name ideas tonight?" He smiles at me

"Yes we can. now please help me up"

He chuckles and gets out of the bed and brings me to a standing position. 

Owen of course knows about my past and most importantly my unicorn baby. What he doesn't know is how scared I have been this whole pregnancy at the very thought of giving him a baby without a brain. I do not even think I could emotionally or physically go through that again. I don't even realize I started crying until I feel Owen's hand on my face.

"Mia. What's wrong? Talk to me"

"I-I have been so scared the entire pregnancy Owen. I do not want to have another baby without a brain. I can't do it" I start crying more and start to collapse but Owen catches me in his arms and sits back down on the bed with me. 

"Amelia, look at me"

I look up at him with tears still in my eyes.

He holds my hand and then starts talking, "I understand why you are scared. I really do. So I will reassure you every minute of the day if I need too. Our baby is perfectly healthy Amelia. and if anything was to happen to him or her we would get through it together. I can promise you that. I am here for you, we can get through anything okay?"

I nod my head and wipe my face off, "We can do this. Our baby will have a brain and they will be perfect."

Owen nods and leans in and kisses me. "But we are late to work and should get going love." 

I groan and stand up with him again. I change my clothes and go downstairs. 

"Do not walk out that door without eating something Amelia Shepherd." I hear Owen say to me as I go to open the door.

"But Owen hunt we are late!"

Owen shakes his head, "I don't care. My pregnant girlfriend needs to get these nutrients in. Now come here and eat something"

I groan hes so over protective of me. I mean It is sometimes really cute but other times I want to hit him in the head, that might just be the hormones actually. I walk into the kitchen and Owen hands me toast with butter on it. I look down at it and frown.

"Whats wrong? It is just toast" He asks me confused. 

I walk over to the fridge and take out some pickles.

"I really like pickles when I am pregnant I like them with every meal."

Owen laughs at me and shakes his head. I just shrug. 

"Okay lets take this on the road. I don't care if you eat in the car as long as you are eating."

"Can I bring my pickles too?"

Owen hesitates for a second then nods, "Yeah sure let's go"

I grab my plate with toast on it along with the jar of pickles and head out the door and get in his car. I finish the toast on the way there and toss my plate in the garbage can in the parking lot. We walk into the parking lot with me still carrying the jar of pickles. We walk down to the attendings lounge. 

I walk over to the counter and grab a post it note and a sharpie and write, "THESE ARE A. SHEPHERDS. DO NOT EAT" I place the post it on top of the jar and put it in the fridge for a snack later. 

Owen watches me and laughs, "You are so damn cute" I walk over to him and kiss him.

I smile, "We should get to working now, but I will see you later for our baby."

He nods, "I will see you later, you too baby." He says that last part as he bends down and kisses my stomach before giving me another kiss and walking out of the lounge. 

Owen's POV:

I walk down to the ER to get started with my day. I get called into a trauma room with Cristina. I have not talked to her much at all since everything happened and since I have recently returned from Iraq I really haven't seen her in a while. 

"Cristina Hi. what do we have?"

"We have a car accident victim. I just need you to some stitches."

I nod and bring over a stool and sit down beside the patient and start putting stitches on the forehead.

"I didn't know you were back from Iraq" She starts a conversation with me and I am surprised.

"Yeah Ive been back for a few days. This is my first week back to work. "

she nods, "And how about Amelia? I have heard she is pregnant, uhm congratulations."

I look up at her, "Yeah she is. and Thank you." 

I finish the stitches and stand up, 'There you go" I say before turning to walk out of the door.

"Owen. Wait. Can I just talk to you for a few minutes?"

"Yeah sure." We both walk out and move into the hallway.

"When you've been gone I realized how horrible I was to you and Amelia."

I don't say anything but wait for her to keep talking.

"I know that we don't have any chance of getting back together and I am fine with that. I am glad you are happy with Amelia and I am sorry for everything I had said about her. I don't want there to be bad blood between the three of us because we all work together."

I nod, "I appreciate the apology Cristina. and I agree I think we can all be adults and be civil with each other." 

"Alright thank you, that is all I wanted to say. I'll see you around. Congrats again" She says before walking back down the hall. I turn around and walk the other way.

The day goes by rather slowly just because I am excited for the end of the day to come for the appointment. But it finally comes and I go down to maturity and meet Amelia there. I smile at her and grab her hand, "Are you ready?" 

She smiles and nods, "Yeah I am"

-

"So are you guys ready to know the gender?" Arizona asks. I look at Amelia and she nods.

"You guys are having a girl!" 

I close my eyes for a few seconds just taking everything in and I start tearing up. I lean down and kiss Amelia's head.

Amelia looks at up and me, "Are you excited?"

"Oh Mia. I am thrilled. This has been my dream for so long and I am so happy to be doing it with you. I love you and our baby girl." I smile again and kiss her.