Chapter 3

Chapter 3

She got home, tired from her first day of work. She didn't even stop for lunch, she was so focused. It wasn't untill she realized it was late did she lock up her office. By the time she arrived home, it was well past nine.

"Ate! Kamusta na first day ng trabaho?"

"Masaya naman, Xyriel. Yung school, musta na?"

"Okay naman po ate. Mabilis ko pong ginawa ung trabaho ni Mam Ana. Wala akong ginawa maghapon."

"Wow, talino naman ng kapatid ko. Sure ka naman na tama ung mga sagot mo? Baka nag yayabang ka lang ha, mali-mali pala ang sagot."

"Syempre naman, tama ako ate. Ako pa! Ikaw kaya nag turo sa akin."

"Yun naman yun eh." She smiled, putting the little girl on her lap. "Namiss ko ung baby ko ngayon." She said, hugging her little sister. "Parang si Yaya na lang kasi ang parati mong kabonding kesa sa akin."

"I missed you too ate." 

She cuddled with the eight-year old for a little while longer before setting her down. "Late na yata, bakit hindi ka pa tulog?"

"Hinihintay pa kasi kita ate eh. Hindi mo pa sinasabi kung okay na trabaho mo."

"Masaya naman." She smiled. "At meron na akong sarili kong opisina. Ang laki! Tapos, mababait pa ung mga kasama ko."

"Congratulations ate ko!" Xyriel cried, hugging her ate. "Sige, tulog na tayo ate, baka malate pa ako for school."

"Sige," she answered, getting up to follow the child.

A maid from the kitchen approached her. "Mam, Hindi pa ba po kayo kakain man lang bago matulog?"

She shook her head. "Hindi na po, ate Lou. Hindi naman po ako nagugutom eh. At wag nyo na po ako tawaging Mam. Sarah na lang po. Kain na lang po kayo ni kuya Jopet, baka gutom po sya."

The maid bowed her head and smiled, before leaving the room.

Sarah laid down beside her younger sister, and slowly fell asleep, humming her lullaby.

The next day, she got up quickly and quietly, as not to disturb the sleeping child beside her. She dressed in sweats and a pink tank top. She left the house to do a little excerise. She stretched a little before taking a morning jog around the compound.

She breathed in the morning air and smiled. It felt like a perfect start to the day for her. She thought about the drafts she made yesterday, waiting for her in the office. She could wait to pitch her ideas to the general.

As she rounded a block, she remembered that lieutenant Anderson would be checking on her today. Anderson...The name seemed to be familiar to her. Lieutenant... She put two and two together. It was Gerald, the man she had rescued a coupke of days ago. Wow. He's tough. She thought to herself. She wondered if he would remember her when they meet. She doubted it: he was flat out drunk and delirious. He wouldn't remember her at all.