Chapter 3: Trouble in Konoha

Naruto's P.O.V

With his body feeling slightly sluggish due to the lack of sleep, Naruto still had no problems with staying awake seeing as he was furiously thinking about what he would say to everyone once the realized that he'd actually passed and was a ninja now. He imagined how he would rub the fact into the faces of all of those that had doubted him before and he also imagined what he would say to Nia once she saw him. In fact, now there was even a possibility that they would be on the same team together, and if he could only get matched with Sakura too then life would be perfect.

"We all get that you somehow passed, but can you stop grinning like a madman? It's creepy." Shikamaru asked from a few desks away.

"I can't help it. I mean, I'm finally a ninja!" Naruto snickered. "I can't wait to see the look on Nia's face when she realizes that I graduated too."

"Why Nia in particular?" Shikamaru asked curiously. "I thought that Sakura was your crush."

"Eh? Oh, n- nevermind!" Naruto laughed awkwardly while suddenly worried that he'd already messed up his 'secret' friendship.

"You're being weird today. Even more than normal." Shikamaru stated before sighing and laying his head down on his desk. "Though I guess you're not the only one. It's been almost an hour and there's no sign of Kiba, Nia or Iruka."

"Huh? Oh yeah... Now that I think about it, they are really late..." Naruto replied more-so to distract his lazy classmate from their previous conversation than actually wondering where the others were. However, even he had to admit that it was strange that Nia was late seeing as she was normally never late for anything.

"Kiba and Nia are probably off eloping together somewhere and Iruka's trying to find him just like he always hunts Naruto down." Ino suddenly joined in the conversation.

"Troublesome people. I wonder if they even realize that they're making everyone else wait for them?" Shikamaru sighed.

"You're right, I really don't like waiting either." Ino agreed while nodded her head in confirmation at the same time. "I want them to hurry up so that I can be put in the same team as Sasuke!"

"There's no way that you're getting in the same team as Sasuke, Ino-Pig!" Sakura yelled.

"What, and you think that he'd want someone as ugly as you are instead, Billboard-Brow?" Ino asked angrily in return.

"So troublesome." Shikamaru moaned to himself before surprisingly pulling out a pair of earmuffs from his pocket as he was apparently well equipped to be seated next to the obnoxious pair of girls. And while their argument lasted for several minutes, Naruto began to wonder just where Nia and Kiba were until the door at the side of the classroom finally opened to reveal Iruka. However, rather than their instructor dragging in both of their tied-up classmates like what normally happened with him, Naruto began to get incredibly curious as to where they were as it didn't appear that Iruka had them. And, judging from past experience, he knew that the man was more skilled than a ninja hound when it came to tracking down missing students.

"Alright everyone, I'm sorry about the delay but there's an issue that came up that might interfere with your team selections." Iruka began speaking while the entire room, which had been full of chatter before, quieted to listen to him. "First of all, I have to ask if anyone has seen Nia Shozu since yesterday afternoon."

"I... don't think that anyone's seen her since after the test yesterday." Ino became their spokesperson after everyone looked around at each other. "Why? Did she do something?"