Chapter 18: Distraction

Waiting for the patrols in the street to pass while looking through the cracked front door of the building, Nia already had everything ready with a rag she'd gathered from the building in one hand and a vial of chloroform in the other before the patrols passed and it was her time to act. And so, after dousing the rag in the substance, she quickly and quietly stepped through the door before she jumped up and threw her left arm over the guard's neck in order to hang onto him while she used her right hand to shove the rag through the metal gap of his helmet. And while she couldn't silence him immediately as he recoiled and shouted in surprise, thankfully there was no one close enough to hear him before he started thrashing beneath her while attempting to get her off of his back. Though, after a few seconds of his failed attempts, the man grew sluggish until he eventually collapsed completely and she threw the rag away while grunting as she drug the man and his heavy armor into the already open doorway. Though, even if the guard was unconscious, she wasn't finished with him yet as she unstrapped the man's leather belt which his sword's sheath was strapped to before heading back towards the trap door and lowering the weapon inside.

"Rustleif!" Nia whispered as loud as she could before she felt the man grab the weapon, which she knew that he would need if he was going to to through the wilds seeing as he might run into wolves or any of the other things that Ralof had mentioned.

"I never got your name." Rustleif suddenly asked from beneath her.

"It's Nia." She replied with a slight smile before he climbed the ladder with the belt in the hand that he was using to hang onto it and his daughter in the other.

"Well then, thank you, Nia. I'll never be able to repay this debt." He managed to send a sad smile towards here.

"Thank me by taking care of your daughter." She returned the gesture before becoming quiet as she slipped out of the door and quickly crossed the street before she hid behind the last house that she'd hid behind previously. And as another patrol walked by, they thankfully didn't notice that the guard was missing before she continued to travel behind the houses, keeping herself low to the ground and appreciating that her new fur clothing was white which blended into the snow perfectly before she finally reached Rustleif's shop and inspected it to see how she could catch it on fire. However, seeing as everything seemed to be designed to resist fire on the outside seeing as part of the house was a forge, she was left with only one option as she walked back out onto the street and made sure that there were no more patrols around to spot her. And after making sure that no one was nearby, she walked onto the porch and attempted to open the door, only to find that it was locked before she got even more use out of her lockpicks and had it open within seconds as she silently thanked Ahkari for such great tools. However, now that she was inside and had closed the door behind her, Nia wondered what she could do now as it seemed to be a simple home with a fireplace in the middle of the far wall, a single double bed, mounted animal heads hanging from the walls, two tables, a chest and a few barrels for what she guessed was for storing both water and food.

After seeing the chest, Nia quickly moved to it before she lockpicked it as well, hoping that there would be something inside as she knew that Rustleif and his daughter would be in trouble if they didn't have any funds to use while travelling. And after opening it, she was thankful when she found a bag similar to the one that the khajiit had given her seeing as the inside was full of septims. And after gathering a slightly smaller bag from the nearby table, she put both of them in her satchel before she drug the now-empty chest across the floor until it was next to the fireplace where she placed several pieces of the charcoal that was already there into the chest before grabbing a lantern that was on the longer of the tables and shaking it in hopes that it still had oil inside. And after hearing a satisfying swishing sound, Nia rotated the lantern in an attempt to find out how to open it before she eventually found the small latch in which one would normally pour more oil into the lantern before she tilted it so that the oil soaked the charcoal. And after that was done, she covered one end of the chest with several pieces of firewood that had been stacked by the fireplace before she slide the chest across the floor again until it was eventually underneath the larger table.

After dealing with the chest, Nia moved to the same table that she'd found the small bag of coins on where she'd seen several letters that looked like they would be a good way to start the fire. And seeing as she couldn't tell if they were important or not thanks to the absence of light in the building, she decided that she could burn them before she placed them into her satchel and moved over to the bed where she took the blankets and pillows off of it and piled them onto the top of the table that she'd slid the chest under. And once everything was set and she was as certain as she could be that she could start the largest fire that she could with what was available to her, Nia moved all of the liquor bottles that she found in the house and put them on top of the table while pouring one over the wood for extra assurance before she cracked the front door open to look for any patrols that might be outside. Though after not seeing any, she moved back to the chest before putting the letters that she'd found into it before taking the striker out of her satchel, which was a small rectangular devise with both flint and steel inside of it which could send sparks out of the end of it. And after sliding half of the device back, she thrusted it forward while pushing the two pieces together, making a small cloud of sparks fly out of the end before they landed in the chest and the alcohol and oil from the lantern immediately caught fire and she had to stand back from the sudden inferno that went up into the air. And seeing as it seemed to already be burning nicely, Nia quickly went back to the door, making sure to lock it again as she slipped outside before she moved to the back of the building and retraced her steps back to the house that Rustleif was hiding in. Though seeing as the missing guard still hadn't been discovered yet, Nia was thankful for the soldier's incompetence before she slowly opened the door.

"It's me." Nia whispered as she slipped inside and was thankful that she'd announced herself as Rustleif stood at the door with his stolen sword drawn and raised above his head, ready to cut the next imperial that stepped through the door down.

"What are you doing here? I thought that you were leaving after starting the fire?" Rustleif asked.

"And leave you alone to carry a baby with there being wolves and who knows what else out there in the wilderness?" Nia asked. "Sorry, but I'm just not the kind of person who would abandon you that easily."

"I... I see." Rustleif calmed down and lowered the sword before he raised it again and Nia hurried to the side of the building as shouting began to be heard outside.

"Fire!"

"The smithy's on fire!"

"Gather and form a fire line!"

"Go and put out the- Wait, where's the guard stationed here?!"