Chapter 15

Mike and Carlos arrived right after our first beer, adding even more to our talk. Thomas moved to water after his second one, but we were all laughing, talking, and joking around over the loud music.

I love how laid back and passionate his friends are and how they welcomed me to their group. We talked about deep topics like climate change and global warming. They told me funny anecdotes about their jobs, but they just couldn't let go of the fact I literally threw up all over Thomas on the day we met.

But boys will always be boys. So, when the clock struck ten o'clock and the mass of bodies were all tipsy and horny, they all made excuses to go to the dance floor. Everyone but Thomas.

"Are you sure you don't want to dance too?" I ask Thomas, who is studying me curiously.

"Nah..." He shrugs but keeps his eyes on me. "Do you want to dance?"

"Not really."

"I'm going to miss you, you know?" He smiles, his eyes searching mine.

"Yeah, me-"

"Thomas?" I hear a woman calling his name and when he looks past me, I see the moment his face pales.

"Rachel?" he asks, and I turn to the side to see a beautiful woman whose eyes are fixed on him.

"Oh, my God! I can't believe it's you!" she says.

"Uh... Yeah." He stands up at a loss, and soon she pulls him into a tight hug that might or not have lasted a little too long.

"Wow, it's been what? Three, four years?" She pulls a little to look at him but keeps her hands on his arms. He's shocked or whatever, and after a minute of awkward silence, I stand up to excuse myself to go to the bathroom.

"Uh... hi, I'm Lisa, Thomas's friend." I offer her my hand, and she seems to finally realize he's not alone.

"Oh, sorry! Sorry! Hi! I'm Rachel." She shakes my hand. "Thomas and I, we... Uh... I didn't mean to interrupt your date! Please, I..." She keeps looking from me to him.

"Not a date. We're here with a bunch of friends," I say, noticing how beautiful she is with her long curly hair and blue eyes. "I actually need to use the bathroom if you'll excuse me. I'll let you guys catch up." I give her a polite smile and look at Thomas for a moment. He's completely at a loss for words, so I just give him a small smile and leave.

The moment I start walking, I see Ethan coming in my direction. "Hey, Lisa! Are you okay?" He looks past me at Thomas and I don't miss the way his eyes harden.

"Yeah, just giving them some privacy." I motion to the couple behind me.

"He asked you to give them some privacy?" He raises his eyebrows, clearly surprised.

"No, I just... When the guy who's sitting by your side at a bar is stunned by another woman, you know there is something there. I'm just doing them a favor."

"Shit!" He looks at Thomas and Rachel again, prompting me to look too.

Thomas bends his head to hear whatever she's saying, but as if sensing us looking at them, he turns and locks his eyes with mine. I don't understand the emotion behind his eyes, but when he moves his attention to Ethan and nods slightly, I know there is a history there between him and Rachel.

"Come on, let's get some fresh air." Ethan touches my elbows softly, guiding me through a set of doors that leads us to a rooftop.

There are some benches and side tables all over the place, and people talking and smoking while having a drink.

"So, what's the history there?" I sit on a bench and turn to him.

"You know, you never really talked about your job? Thomas says you own a bakery and everything is just really delicious there." He sits on the bench opposite mine, a little grin on his lips.