one

Driving in a car that was not her own, rather one of her boyfriend's - she liked saying that, now that it had been confirmed - many expensive cars, Athena Olympus chuckled at the bitter expression planted on the agent's face who sat in the passenger's seat of the lavish car. The agent, Sitwell, had been given the task to collect the blonde goddess but instead found himself being escorted by the said woman. He hadn't much choice in the matter truth be told, he'd rather keep his head. 

The environment outside the car had changed drastically during their car ride. It had started with the skyscrapers of New York City and then changed to the boring scenery of the highways to the beautiful desert scenery of New Mexico. Athena strummed her fingers over the steering wheel of the car as they zoomed past the sign that welcomed them to the small town of Puente Antiguo. As she drove at a slower pace through the small town, Sitwell -  she hoped that was his name - began giving her instructions. 

Athena pulled into a parking space outside a small diner - everything was small in this town - and removed the keys from the ignition. Outside the dinner, a man in a black suit and black sunglasses waited. He sat nonchalantly on one of the tables outside the dinner, his arms crossed across his chest as he waited for the two to exit the car. When they did, he stood up and took his sunglasses off with a smile as he greeted the blonde woman, friendly. 

"Athena, thank you for coming." Phil Coulson smiled, holding out his hand professionally. It was like the man didn't know the woman at all, a stranger would think as they watched them. However, that conclusion would be thrown out the window as the stunningly blonde woman pulled the smartly dressed man into a friendly hug, disregarding the outstretched hand altogether. 

"Phil." Athena smiled pulling away from the hug. "Who would have thought I'd be seeing you so soon?"

"Sooner than expected, for sure." Phil replied before nodding his towards the diner. "Coffee?"

Athena agreed enthusiastically and followed Phil inside, Sitwell remained outside. It was a cute little diner, Athena observed. They sat in a corner away from the curious eyes of the locals, who were interested in the presences of the government officials. Athena took a sip of her coffee and decided she had enough small talk done. "So, why am I here?"

Phil set down the coffee mug and sighed. He reached into a briefcase and took out a file, handing it to Athena. She set it down on the table beside her coffee and opened it. Immediately she was met with a photograph of an object. She picked up the photograph and studied the object before looking through the rest of the file. Athena sighed and looked at Phil. "What is it?"

"I was hoping you could tell me that." Phil admitted, he leaned closer over the table. "Twenty miles outside this town, that thing is just there."

"Just there?" Athena raised her eyebrow at his wording. "What do you mean it's just there?"

"We can't move it." Phil replied simply. "We've tried everything."

"You want me to see if I can lift it?" Athena questioned him, a look of disbelief on her face. "What makes you think I can lift it?"

"Because you know..." Phil lamely didn't finish his sentence and looked at her sheepishly. 

"Because I am a goddess?" Athena retorted bluntly. "No need to be shy about it. You won't offend me by saying it."

"Yes because your a goddess." Phil admitted - that and Fury demanded that Athena be present. 

Athena picked up the photo again but frowned as she observed it. "Have you a better photo than this? I can't see the engravings."

"How about we go and see the real thing instead?" Phil suggested and Athena agreed. Athena headed to her car - Tony's car - and was annoyed as she was stopped by Phil. "I'm afraid you're going to have to leave the car here."

Athena laughed sarcastically. "Yes, of course and then I'll let Tony bludgeon me for leaving his car unattended."

Athena rolled her eyes at Phil's hesitance and got into the fancy car. "Well, let's go."

Athena followed Phil's black car down a street and soon they were in the desert again. True to what he said earlier, they drove for about twenty miles before a huge investigation site appeared in the middle of nowhere. Athena could only presume the object was somewhere in the middle of it. 

As they drove up to the site, the cars were stopped and then they were searched promptly. Athena stepped out of the car as the agents swarmed the car. When they found nothing, they stepped aside and let Athena back into the car. She drove into the site and parked the car besides Phil's. She once again stepped out of the car and crossed her arms, the keys of the car hanging from a single finger. "Shall we?"

Phil nodded his head and they entered through the doors. Inside the agents were scurrying around like mice, every single one of them having a different task. Phil lead them through a number of tunnels before finally she saw it. 

The hammer like object was stuck in a mount of earth. Phil stood back as Athena approached the hammer and she observed it better now that she could see it in person. Her hands brushed over it and traced the engravings with her fingers. She could feel the power of the object as she touched and could instantly tell that it was created by dwarves. The exquisitely crafted weapon was ancient, older than herself and she found herself in awe of it. Her hand gripped the leather around the handle of the hammer and she smiled. 

"I never thought I'd ever see this in person."